Help... pool return nozzles are not threaded

JCJR

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2007
Miami
..and I am having problems installing my new PoolSkim.

I just ordered a PoolSkim and when I went to remove my return nozzle I noticed it was not threaded. I popped it off and it looks like the return pipe is 1.5 inch PVC and the nozzle is 1.5 inch in dia. with a bump on the sleeve and that gets pushed into the pipe and I guess it is held by pressure. You can see a picture of it here http://www.poolwidget.com/MVP/Product/T ... ?ID=116003

There is nothing in the PoolSkim kit that brings a connection for this style. Other than draining the pool and gluing a threaded sleeve/pipe/fitting, does anyone have any ideas how I can connect a fiiting to my return pipe. I thought about threading the pipe inside but do not have an idea if there is such a thing. I did get a 1 inch coupler and grinded it down to fit into the pipe, but when I connected the PoolSkim the weight of the unit made the pipe twist and the Poolskim was on it's side.

Any suggestions?

BTW, I held the PoolSkim in place and watched that sucker go and it was amazing. I have two skimmers and because I use my pump in low speed and open my main drain for better circulation, I get poor performance from my skimmers. Even on high speed and only the skimmer valves opened, I still have a lot of surface junk. I do not get leaves but a lot of dirt, dust, grass clippings, bugs. I attached a skimmer sock to the Poolskim and held it in place and within 30 min (yeah, I know. I felt stupid holding that thing for 30 min) the skimmer sock had about o 1/4 inch of junk on the bottom.

JohnT said:
Any chance you could modify a return fitting to serve as an adapter?

Just what I was thinking. You then would not have to drain the pool, just do whatever kind of work you need to do to the return fitting (glue, etc.) attach the poolskim to the fitting, then plug into return inlet in pool wall.

Boy, are you guys quick in replying.

As far as modifiyng the return fitting, there is an eyball that is held in placeby a tab on the fitting itself. I guess I can remove that eyeball but I would be left with a inch hole. How would I connect the PoolSkim to that?

Mike, My return line is not threaded. Once I remove the jet/nozzle I have 1.5 inch pipe and a can see and feel it has no threads.

JCJR said:
As far as modifiyng the return fitting, there is an eyball that is held in placeby a tab on the fitting itself. I guess I can remove that eyeball but I would be left with a inch hole. How would I connect the PoolSkim to that?

I'd be thinking of starting with a standard 1.5" Slip fit to female thread adapter, then see what it takes to adapt down to something that will fit in the return fitting. I'd try to bore out the return fitting so you get better flow if that's possible. You might have to press it into a piece of pipe or a coupler to work on it. You could try gluing into the fitting, or slip a piece of pipe through the opening, then gluing a coupler on the pipe so it can't slip back out. It doesn't have to be leak free.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.