Pump ran dry, now hard to get started

minmex

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2011
Far North TX
:cry: :cry:

Recently, I sprung a leak and the pool got down below the skimmer level and ran dry for a while, maybe a whole day, or part, not sure.

I figured I was in big trouble, but I pushed the button and it started up and pumped away. Whew I thought...

However, now it is tripping the breaker when it starts up. It makes a loud humming, like it is stuck, then it either trips or takes off and runs, no loud noises or anything after it gets going.

Am I looking at a motor problem, or the innards of the pump problem?
I redid the seal about 6 months ago, so I know how to take it apart and look at things if needed.

It's a Hayward pump

Thanks (yet again) tfp!

I don't know if I have a capacitor, unless it is inside the motor's housing, there is not an external one like the industrial stuff at work.

Maybe my question is wrong...? What should happen if the pump runs dry for some time?

The capacitor may be inside the end bell cap.

Typically, if a pump runs dry for an extended period of time, the pump itself (not the motor) will overheat. This can soften the PVC connections (causing leaks or failure to prime), may melt the pump basket, and could damage the shaft seal.
If, when the motor does run, the pump primes and works properly, without leaks, you probably didn't damage it.

It's probably the capacitor as mentioned. I had that happen this year. The pump ran dry which melted the inlet and outlet fitting on the pump and the intense heat that formed since the pump could not cool off applied extra heat to the external top mounted capacitor

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.