Have Hayward Voyager pump with less than 90 min of operation

Feb 2, 2008
Northwest Indiana
I just got my pool installed last week and have just gotten the electrical done. I ran the pump last night for about 90 minutes. I shut it off briefly and then turned it back on and the pump split in two right after the valve that switches from filter to waste. There is a housing there that only seems to have a small tongue and groove clip that holds it together. My pool guy just happened to be in town and stopped by...He said that after 19 years of selling and installing pools, he never saw such a thing. The only thing that I can think of is that the pump itself was installed and not lined up properly. The moter part or back of the pump is screwed down to the base of the pump and the front of the pump where the inlet is is not. It seems like there may be a slight misalignment due to the plumbing being to long inbetween the pump and the filter. Could this have caused the shaft to be torqued a little and cause it to disengage from the impeller? Any help on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks

JasonLion said:
That sounds like a manufacturing defect, though it is difficult to be sure without looking at it.

Jason,
do you think that if the rear of the pump is bolted down and the front of the pump was torqued to the left a little bit by the plumbing between the pump and filter this would cause the shaft to disengage??? My pool installer said the same thing you did. that it sounds like something was not put together properly. I am sure that with only 90 minutes of run time on this pump that they will replace it for free...pool and package was purchased from the great escape...they have been great so far.

PVC is fairly sturdy. It would have to be under immense pressure to break that quickly. Bolting down only the back wouldn't normally cause any problems. A badly mounted pump normally takes a year or three and typically makes some significant noise before anything actually breaks.

JasonLion said:
PVC is fairly sturdy. It would have to be under immense pressure to break that quickly. Bolting down only the back wouldn't normally cause any problems. A badly mounted pump normally takes a year or three and typically makes some significant noise before anything actually breaks.

Jason, That is what I thought too. Thanks for the advice, I think it was something that the pool store also thought was a defect because they had no problem giving me a brand new pump just now. They had never heard of this either. I will take a picture of it and post it here if I can. It wasn't making any noise I just shut it off and then turned it back on and boom it split a part like something had pried it apart from inside.

Anyway...I am new here to the forum well not really new, but somewhat new...but I am new to the whole business of pool ownership, and am looking forward to utilizing the BBB method...One other question I have a Nature 2 mineral purifier...does that actually do a good job and cause me to have to use less chemicals. It came with the pool package that I ordered...I have a 24 foot round pool. What do you think.

cubbybeave08 said:
JasonLion said:
One other question I have a Nature 2 mineral purifier...does that actually do a good job and cause me to have to use less chemicals. It came with the pool package that I ordered...

Not trying to be rude and butt in :? But mine came with one as well, It did NOTHING!!! except make my pool green, (this was before I found the BBB method) But it just never worked like they said it would, It has been in my shed collecting dust for the past 4 years now.

Poolidiot said:
cubbybeave08 said:
JasonLion said:
One other question I have a Nature 2 mineral purifier...does that actually do a good job and cause me to have to use less chemicals. It came with the pool package that I ordered...

Not trying to be rude and butt in :? But mine came with one as well, It did NOTHING!!! except make my pool green, (this was before I found the BBB method) But it just never worked like they said it would, It has been in my shed collecting dust for the past 4 years now.

Poolidiot...that is the kind of feed back that I am looking for...I am going to give it a shot this season and see what it does...I won't be out any money, but if it doesn't work, I don't have to drop 90 bucks on a new cartridge next season...Thanks for the feedback...

When used properly a Nature2 system will save you a little chlorine. However the cartridges aren't cheap and it is unlikely it can possibly save you as much as it costs. Plus Nature2 adds copper and silver to the water which can potentially cause staining. I don't recommend using Nature2 or any similar "mineral" system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.