Winter maintenance question

Oct 9, 2011
Hi all,

This was my first summer using the BBB method and I'm a total convert! So much easier and cheaper than the pool store. My question is how much does the amount of bleach used change during the winter? I have been putting in half a 182 oz bottle each day and that's been keeping the water just about perfect, plus the occasional addition of muriatic acid. Also, do you test the water each day during the winter/off months? I don't plan to cover the pool until around February when the oak trees start dropping leaves.

My bleach usage has dropped by about 2/3 since summer. The cooler water combined with the shorter days and lower sun angle result in less chlorine loss due to sunlight. In winter, I keep my FC level at the low end of the range for my CYA whereas in summer I keep the FC level in the mid-to upper part of the range based on swimmer load and water temp.

As for testing, I test FC and pH about 3 times per week from about now until mid-March. I use the FAS-DPS chlorine test once per week so I can test FC & CC. I use the basic OTO chlorine test the other times. I test TA once a week.

My MA usage also drops since I keep the pH a bit higher in the cooler water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.