pool filter not working, algea being thrown back in.

Oct 27, 2012
I have run my filter for 3 days, 8 to 10 hours each, went to clean the filter and there was barley anything on it, when I went to directly vaccum the debris on the bottom of pool, it all gets pumped right back in, I watch as a huge cloud of algea ruins my pool, im an ametuer and doing the best I can, very frustrating, could use help, thank you.

drunkenboxer24 said:
13K Gallon Fiberglass Inground
Pentair-PacFab Clean And Clear, 100 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter (160316) with 1 1/2HP pinnacle Pump.

You'll need to open the filter, and inspect the element carefully for holes. In addition pay attention to the manifolds securing the element. If they are broken or the element not aligned properly, you will get the conditions you've described.

I pulled out the filter and the base its secured too, there are no holes, cracks or anything where water could slip through, also the slots the base secures to is intact and not broken, however when I place them both back inside the tank the cartridge seems a tiny bit loose, there is no gap betweeen the two at all, its just really easy to take out, and on the top of the filter it says press down to seal, however it seems more to rest on the bottom than it does to snap or seal in.

Yes thank you, I am fully aware of that, however I was hoping that perhaps this same problem has occurred to someone else and could at least tell me what their situation was, would you reccomend I bring in a professional to inspect it or perhaps just purchase a new filter and base elements?

Do you have a pic of your plumbing set-up. As you are aware the debris is bypassing the filter, so if it is not a multiport valve on an incorrect setting (recirculate) or some other bypass valve, then it's the filter.

I just picked up a new filter, pop'ed it in, and it didn't work at all, tried using the vacuum again and the algae just keeps getting pumping back in. However the one thing I noticed with both filters (old and new) is that the 2nd vacuum at the bottom of the pool (it's attached to the pool) work properly, which makes no sense cause as u will see in the picture the flow of both vacuums passes through the same pipe, Im completely stumped. the bottom right lever controls the flow from the top vacuum and bottom.

Attachments

• 1_DSC4491.jpg
    1_DSC4491.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 60
drunkenboxer24 said:
I just picked up a new filter, pop'ed it in, and it didn't work at all, tried using the vacuum again and the algae just keeps getting pumping back in. However the one thing I noticed with both filters (old and new) is that the 2nd vacuum at the bottom of the pool (it's attached to the pool) work properly, which makes no sense cause as u will see in the picture the flow of both vacuums passes through the same pipe, Im completely stumped. the bottom right lever controls the flow from the top vacuum and bottom.

Vacuum = suction line? Is the 2nd suction the main drain? If so what do you do to verify it is "working" vs. the skimmer suction? Or is there a 2nd suction port in the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
yes sorry for not clarifying, the 2nd is the main drain, I let that one pump for about 15 minutes, I took the filter out and there was algea on it, not alot of course but still it was there, I cleaned it put it back together and used the manuel vacuum for 5-10 minutes, took it apart and there was next to nothing on it, also the manuel vac sucks in way more algea directly than the main drain does so there should have been something on it but there wasn't.

drunkenboxer24 said:
yes sorry for not clarifying, the 2nd is the main drain, I let that one pump for about 15 minutes, I took the filter out and there was algea on it, not alot of course but still it was there, I cleaned it put it back together and used the manuel vacuum for 5-10 minutes, took it apart and there was next to nothing on it, also the manuel vac sucks in way more algea directly than the main drain does so there should have been something on it but there wasn't.

I really think this may not be indicative of the problem. I could see the suction line from the skimmer being partly clogged or something like that - but this filter behavior doesn't seem related. Maybe it is but I'd bet not. With that filter it didn't look like there was a multiport - it looked like there was a way to switch the valves to send the water to waste. For now - while you are investigating this you might just use the main drain and when vacuuming use the option to dump to waste.

Sorry I don't have any better ideas.

It has to be that the debris is bypassing the cartridge. I'd take the filter back apart and inspect it well for cracks and or leaks at the sealing surfaces. I see no way for you to accidentally bypass the filter, so it has to be something internal.

You guys were right, the previous filter was not snapping into the bottom because 2 sides of the bottom were loose and flimsy so the water was bypassing underneath it, I purchased a new filter and it is now cleaning and vacuuming properly. Thank you guys so much for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.