Pool drained - is this best time to "convert" to SWG ?

cody21

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Lafayette, Ca / USA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our fibreglass pool is going through major repairs right now after a major crack in the underlying gunite appeared. ($$). We had planned to convert to a SWG system NEXT summer. We'll be ready to refill the pool in about 3-4 weeks. In your opinion, is THIS the best time to make the switch to a SWG system? or is the switch fairly simple even for a previously-filled normal Chlorinated pool? I have yet to read up on the testing and balancing process for a SWG system, but planned to do so next year. (Being in northern CA we won't be actually CLOSING the pool over winter - just maintaining CH levels to prevent algae.)

Thoughts on how YOU would do this?

There isn't anything special about adding a SWG to a "normal" chlorinated pool. If you are keeping the water parameters to TFP recommendations, then the only additions to the water would be salt and perhaps some more CYA. Some people will keep the TA a little lower, 60-80 when using a SWG to help with the rising pH due to the SWG. Your water should be balanced before turning on the SWG if you install it now or later. I suggest going with a 60,000 gallon rated cell for your size of pool.

You might be able to save some money on the install if you have contractors already working on the pool and want them to install it for you. This is a big hit or miss and they might actually charge you more than normal. If you are planning on doing the install yourself, then it really doesn't matter when you install it.

Re: Pool drained - is this best time to "convert" to SWG ?

It is easy to switch at any time. All you have to do is add some salt and raise the CYA a bit.

Realize that a SWG trends to make the pH rise faster. So, you may want to spend the time now getting all the parameters in line, like lowering the TA of needed, before converting.

Switch when you are ready.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.