quick question ona Hayward Vari-Flo Valve

Aug 13, 2012
First off, many thanks to all who helped my with my shock process last month. Since about the first week in September, I've been crystal clear. Working to get my TA down, will post some question in it and scaling, but first my valve issue.

I am getting a progressively worse leak out of the waste port on a Hayward Vari-Flo valve, SP715XR50. Can the valve seat gasket be successfully replaced on these? I've heard both sides locally, but thought that I would open the question up to a broader audience.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Yes. You have to replace the spider gasket. In some of the newer valve this is actually attached to a plate, so you have to replace the plate/gasket combo.

Just take all the bolts out and open her up and see which you have and how damaged it is.

Check to make sure the part that stays attached to the filter (the hard plastic) isn't cracked, if it is then you are replacing the entire port valve. Since it's cheap you might also want to replace the spring and back up o-rings since you'll have the assembly open. The spring can be kinda important because if its not putting enough tension to make a seal then it can still leak.

Thanks for the input, i appreciate it. I'll get some of the extra parts as suggested.

Is the spider gasket glued to the valve rotor or is it just placed into a groove?

Hopefully I can fix everything with one opening of the valve, I'm woried that if I don't have everything that I need to fix it, putting it back togher while I order additional parts will only make its performance worse.

Thanks.

Mine is a gasket that is placed in a groove (I think you are supposed to put some kind of glue on it to hold it there).

I guess the newer designs are different where the gasket comes attached to a plate ... I have never seen this setup, so I am not sure.

Looking up the valve online, looks like yours have the separate spider gasket. So, you will have to rip out the out one, scrap out any adhesive in the groove and then re-install the new gasket, with some type of adhesive (I will have to search to see what is recommend to use as I do not recall).

I do not think opening up the valve and then putting it back together will make anything worse. In fact, if you find the gasket out of place, you may be able to temporarily straighten it out and get it held in place. I would just make sure you have the handle in the position you want it so you do not have to turn it until you have the new parts.

yeah, just set it into place. I've glued some in the past but it never really seemed to help. If the current gasket is glued you gotta make sure it's spotless for the new one. Jacks lube it after it's in place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.