New ingground pool and hurricane preparedness

Oct 23, 2012
So, I am in the process of getting a new IG pool. a freeform, mountain lake, 22300 gallon, vinyl liner. I have a few questions being new to the game.
First and foremost, this site is incredible and full of knowledge, almost too much.
So now to the gory details.
Pool was dug out last 2 days, was supposed to be next week, but I was flexible with my dates asI work from home, so they had a cancellation, and now I have a hole in my ground. With that said, we are now due for a hurricane/tropical storm on the North East coast of the US (yes a hurricane in almost November in NJ). Should I be concerned about hte hole that was just dug and any negative impact to the actual pool build?
My next question was the reason for posting prior to the hurricane report. That is with the initial fill. I will be getting SWG system with my pool, but they state that the SWG will not be used until the chlorine, PH and TA levels are stable. SO, when I am completing the initial fill, which will only be 10,000 gallons roughly, should I worry about the balances of anything? Once i get the complete fill of the pool, should I just let the pool company worry about stabilizing, or should I take it upon myself to balance and maintain the water quality before they even start that. Should I also not even worry, let them install, but then request they not install the SWG until March, when the pool will be ultimately complete and they consider delivered?

You are going to have a heck of a mess, and much will need to be dug again. Nothing you can do now though.

It's worth testing the water that will be used to fill the pool so you can be prepared with the appropriate chemicals to adjust the water.

JohnT said:
You are going to have a heck of a mess, and much will need to be dug again. Nothing you can do now though.

It's worth testing the water that will be used to fill the pool so you can be prepared with the appropriate chemicals to adjust the water.

Thanks,
I have started that already. Tested FC and PH of water to be used (hose water) and it is .5 and 7.2 respectively. Also test CYA, and was 0. Havent checked TA yet but will.

Not for nothing, but I live in NJ as well. They have been predicting this will be a storm of epic porportions - up to 12" of rain, sustained hurrican force winds, and flooding pretty much in excess of what happend when Irene came through. They have been saying this for the last 4 or 5 days now.

What on earth made your PB start excavation 2 days ago?

As was said, there is not much you can do now, but you are going to be needing more excavation and quite possibly a good amount of fill. Hopefull the excavation is not near your house foundation.

-dave

Just as an update.......
PB actually showed up Saturday morning and constructed and leveled out the pool walls. We have Hurricane Sandy Bearing down on us, and while water was not hit during excavation, the deep end is now filling with the rain, and has about 6 inches of water and getting deeper as the day goes on.

Are the builders just going to have to re-do the work, and will I now have to be forced into a drain system because I now have water in my deep end?

urbanjaybird said:
Just as an update.......
PB actually showed up Saturday morning and constructed and leveled out the pool walls. We have Hurricane Sandy Bearing down on us, and while water was not hit during excavation, the deep end is now filling with the rain, and has about 6 inches of water and getting deeper as the day goes on.

Are the builders just going to have to re-do the work, and will I now have to be forced into a drain system because I now have water in my deep end?

After Sandy passes and water tables get back to normal they should be able to pump out whatever is in the excavation, correct the bottom, and go from there. They may (most likely will) have to excavate more, and then backfill because the bottom of the excavation is going to be saturated.

-dave

What was the decision (if your PB is back on the job). We just got power back last night.

It looks to me like some of that is going to have to be removed and new, clean, compacted, fill put in place. I can't tell from the picture what the stability of the earth that under walls looks like.

-dave

Actually it was not too bad. PBwas back on Sunday to clean up. The structure of hte walls were in good shape and did not have to be modified. The bottom was pumped, and a layer of drainage rock was put down. A bit of good news, the excavater dug the slopes incorrectly. This wasgood news, because he brought the slopes down into the deep end, but the deep end was not large enouh, it needed to be expanded by 2 feet. They corrected by hand, and the slopes are now clean again. Waiting on the town to come and give the inspectyion, so that the PB can come and pour collar, put down base and install liner. Let's hope that the next store doesn't bring any trouble before they can move on. Hurricane on Monday, earthquake on the following monday, now a nor-easter on wednesday. Either someone has it in for NJ, or someone is trying to tell me this pool is a bad idea. more pictures to follow, loss of power had me a little behind in transferring some photos

Wanted to post an update on where we are. PB came and filled with drainage rock in most of the pool. WIth Sandy followed by a foot of snow, there was a bit of water left. We were at the town mercy for a while, as they missed building and plumbing inspections 2 weeks in a row. Once the inspections were finally completed, and passed, PB came to pour collar, lay vermiculite bottom andinstall liner all in same day. Elictrical is complete and inspection passed as of yesterday. waiting on back fill, PBis behind schedule on those due to storms. Following are some pictures of the recent progress. Look forward to any and all comments

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Electric, Backfill and filling of the pool has all b een completed within the last week. Elictricians were here Tuesday before thanksgiving, electrical inspection passed on Wednesday before Thanksgiving, backfill complete on Sunday after Thanksgiving.

Also, they came and closed me fo rhte winter with a temporary cover and water bags. Have to wait for spring to pour concrete. THey stated they shocked the pool and added algecide, unfortunately I was not home when they did this, so I am not sure of exactly what they used. I am termpted to pull part of the cover back and take a water test to see what they added in the pool, and if there truly is any FC in there.

I'm glad it appears to be working out for you despite the catastrophic weather!
I don't know that I would bother tinkering with the water if they have everything shut down at this point.
I have your same liner and am told it's a good style for hiding stains, etc. Mine is 12 years old and still looks great despite iron issues, etc.! It also survived foreclosure neglect and by my calcs, about a year and a half of very low ph, etc., without a wrinkle. I bet you can't wait til spring!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.