Pool Remodel HELP

vvnsv

Oct 25, 2012
Greetings -
Recently I purchased a home that is equipped with a simple "Kidney Bean" style inground swimming pool. The owner did not have original information on the pool, but appears that the pool may have been installed in 1993. Since then, it does not appear to have been replastered -BUT it does look like the owner(s) have drained and added coat after coat of blue paint.
My question is this: What kind of "mess" am I looking at in having a pool replastered? Price (average)? Time frames? Gunite or Pebble Tec? And can I pick color options now a days when resurfacing?
I know I know - that was more than one question...but since I've never dealt with an inground pool before, I need to put as much out there as I see it.
The home is located in S. Texas 80 miles West of San Antonio, TX.

Thanks,

-V

Welcome to TFP!!!

When a re-plaster job is done, they typically chisel out the old plaster down to the "concrete". So, that would also remove all the paint (which BTW tends to only last a few years, thus the many coats).

Gunite is not a finish, it is one type of the "concrete" used to make the shell.

Price is very dependent on location, pool size, and surface. A small pool with basic plaster is likely at least $5k. You can select plaster colors or you can go with one of the aggregate (pebble-type) products that also have many color choices. The aggregates tend to have longer warranties and last longer, but you pay more.

The whole process is just a few days. Once the pool is drained, 1 day for removal of the old surface and clean up. And then 1 day for the new surface install and immediately start filling the pool. Might add 1-2 days work if you remove and replace the tile. That is not to say there are not days in the middle where nothing happens ... or weather delays.

FYI, My pool with Pebble-Sheen and all new tile was just over $10k.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.