The tale of the Pool, the Pollen, the Tree and the Chainsaw

rudy

May 15, 2008
The stats - AGP 16x32 Doughboy w/ sand filter, use BBB method

I had a significant coating of pollen on the bottom of my pool. I had been filtering continuously so my water was clear and the pollen sort of mounded in one spot. I had planned to vacuum the pool as soon as the weekend arrived. Then came the storm. Two huge limbs broke out of the top of a nearby oak tree and were blown into the pool. The limbs were too heavy to lift out as a whole. We cut the limbs with a chainsaw, while standing in the pool, until they were small enough to lift out. This was on 5/10/08 and by some miracle my liner does not appear to be leaking. However, my pool is now dark green from the pollen being stirred up. I have some oil residue floating on top of the water from the chainsaw although that does seem to be improving. I have been filtering continuously for days, have lined my skimmer basket with nylon hose and backwashed often. I really don't see any improvement in getting the pollen out of the pool. I've been keeping bleach poured in the pool and the chlorine level is holding pretty well so I'm convinced it's a pollen issue and not an algae issue...plus it wasn't this way until the tree incident. I don't want to vacuum the pool because I can't see the bottom to know if there are more sticks and stuff down there that might tear the liner. Should I try a flocculant to get the pollen out of my pool? If so, what brand is best? Any ideas on what might get the remainder of the oil residue out of the pool? What a mess!

Hi, Rudy,

I'd say there is a 98% chance you have algae in your pool. Take a sample of your water to a pool store and get a full set of test numbers and post them up here and we'll all be able to help more.

Meanwhile, read in the "stickies"....

"Turning your green swamp...." and

"ABC's of pool water chemistry"

Hi, Rudy,

Thanks for the test results.

I would first suggest you lower the pH around the 7.2 range to make the chlorine as effective as possible.

Next, I would bring the chlorine up to around 20ppm and HOLD IT THERE 24/7 until the pool clears. Run the pump 24/7 as well.

Even though there are some other very small (percentage-wise) possibilities, a green pool is algae laden almost all the time. The cure for algae is to shock the pool with high levels of chlorine and, altho it may take a few days, you'll probably see some improvement in the first 24 hours.

I haven't vacuumed the pool yet. I suspect there are more sticks and junk in the bottom from the tree limbs...probably lots of wood shavings from the chain saw too. I'm afraid if I can't see what I'm doing that I may tear my liner. I was hoping to get the water cleared up a bit more first.

Any thoughts on absorbing the oil?

Thank you both!
R

As for the potential debris, can you gently use a leaf rake to get it out? You will have a devil of a time clearing your pool if the chlorine is busy trying to sterilize sticks and branches on the bottom!!

You may want to invest in some actual skimmer socks, as they catch smaller particles than the pantyhose.

rudy said:
I haven't vacuumed the pool yet. I suspect there are more sticks and junk in the bottom from the tree limbs...probably lots of wood shavings from the chain saw too. I'm afraid if I can't see what I'm doing that I may tear my liner. I was hoping to get the water cleared up a bit more first.

Any thoughts on absorbing the oil?

Thank you both!
R

Fortunately, the sticks and sawdust will float, so that's not likely a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.