Progress on a Pentair ScreenLogic Android App

May 14, 2012
This is my first post and I greatly appreciate the huge database of helpful information on this board which has made my first-time pool ownership much smoother.

I finished my first pool build about 3 weeks ago with all Pentair gear. I decided to forgo the EasyTouch Controller (a $600 adder) and instead to buy a used iPod Touch for $75 and install the ScreenLogic app. I put it into a cheap waterproof case and it is working great.

The trade-offs have been very worth it but all of our other devices are Android and I want an app for them. Unfortunately, the Android app to connect to the unit is nowhere to be found and I have seen no reasonable updates. So, I took matters into my own hands and conducted some research.

The app is developed by ELAN Home Systems and the pool control is a subset of the g!Mobile platform. Unfortunately, they only have on iOS version of their app which has been adapted to the ScreenLogic app which is available now for on the iTunes App Store.

ELAN has published a press release stating the following:

"ELAN® Home Systems today announced the immediate availability of its g!Mobile app for Android® devices, built on an innovative software architecture the company also debuted today."

Unfortunately, there is no app available on the Google Play Store so I emailed Robert Ridenour, the Brand Manager for ELAN, asking when it will be available and his response is below.

"The Android app will be made available when g!6.0 posts at the end of the month. The Android app is only compatible with systems running g!6.0 so having it available now would only create confusion. I apologize for our PR departments over active description of the applications availability."

So, the basis Android app from ELAN should become available this month. Although this does not ensure that the adaptation of the basis app to ScreenLogic will be quick or that the Pentair control systems will upgrade to a compatible firmware, this is at least some progress.

kevlarcc said:
I finished my first pool build about 3 weeks ago with all Pentair gear. I decided to forgo the EasyTouch Controller (a $600 adder) and instead to buy a used iPod Touch for $75 and install the ScreenLogic app. I put it into a cheap waterproof case and it is working great.

I'm confused by this statement. Do you mean you do not have an Easytouch panel? How do you interface with the pool equipment?

I have an EasyTouch control panel mounted in the load center with no separate controller.

My builder installed a protocol interface adapter that connects the EasyTouch control panel to my home network. All of my system control is accomplished with either the Pentair ScreenLogic iOS app on an iPod Touch (typical poolside setting changes) or on the PC/MAC desktop application for remote monitoring and configuration.

My understanding is that the EasyTouch is different from the IntelliTouch in that you can actually control it from the load center without service. There is no need for additional controllers. I had the EasyTouch wireless controller installed but have recently upgraded to the ScreenLogic. There's really no need for the EasyTouch controller now.

You can control many functions on the Intellitouch panel, but it lacks an LCD display, so the user interface is based on a combination of LEDs being activated on the panel. It still has the touch switches like the Easy Touch for controlling the different functions like Aux relays, filter pump etc (from what I gather from reading the manual). But, its functionality is greatly enhanced with some form of remote control. I'm not sure why it was done this way, esp. considering that it's the more expensive package. I really like the fact that I can control all functions with ease at the main control panel without need for a wireless remote. Of course, at a minimum, one would want a wired or wireless remote somewhere with an Intellitouch. It seems quite natural that a reasonable user interface would be near the pool pad, and the Intellitouch really doesn't offer this when compared to the less expensive Easy Touch. This was one of the reasons I went with the Easy Touch over the Intellitouch. The only advantage I see for most pools with the Intellitouch is the macro capability. Of course, on more extensive pools, the additional controls could be useful if there are multiple pumps and complex valve setups. But with a proper home automation system, control of other things like landscape lighting and even the ability to mimic macros is possible.

thejetsunss said:
Anybody heard any updates on Android availability??

It would appear that an update to allow Android control over Screenlogic is imminent:

http://poolfyi.com/forum/topics/screenlogic-update

Looks like they decided to move the relay servers in house, which will hopefully address some of the problems people have had with remote access to their automation panels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.