Flow Meter installation

marke

Sep 29, 2012
My new pool is nearly complete and I'd like to install a BlueWhite F300 Vertical Mount Flow Meter. My pool builder added a small 5' x 2' rectangular loop coming out of the High Rate Sand Filter which feeds 3 individual return lines for the pool. I believe the loop is intended to equalize pressure on the returns. My question is can I install the flow meter somewhere on the loop or would that give me a false reading. I've have attached a picture of the plumbing pad to make the situation clearer. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• pool plumbing photo.jpg
    pool plumbing photo.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 332
You certainly can install it in a place that will give you an incorrect reading. From the looks of the plumbing, you don't have enough room anywhere to install a vertical mount meter. It looks like you could install a horizontal mount in the pump discharge line. I can't tell exactly how far back the plumbing goes to get to the multiport valve but if it's a good distance you may be able install the flow meter in the horizontal line between the filter and the "loop".

Thanks very much for the response. I'll try to see if I can exchange the flow meter for the correct type. I wondered if you thought this loop added any benefit in terms of return flow distribution?

Not unless each of the three lines are the same length. Since there are view on two of them you can use those to balance out the three lines. A valve on the third one would give you the most flexibility

If the loop is designed like I'm seeing in the photo, it helped a little but probably not as much as he figured it would. The restriction caused by the three valves on the returns would have provided enough resistance to balance them all out as long as the pump wasn't undersized. And even then you could manually do it by partially closing the strongest ones.

Bama Rambler said:
If the loop is designed like I'm seeing in the photo, it helped a little but probably not as much as he figured it would. The restriction caused by the three valves on the returns would have provided enough resistance to balance them all out as long as the pump wasn't undersized. And even then you could manually do it by partially closing the strongest ones.

Yeah...kind of what I said. :cheers:

Thanks very much for everyone's comments. Your feedback was really helpful! I decided to return the Blue White F300 flowmeter and instead buy a FlowVis flow meter. The FlowVis combines a Jandy check valve and flowmeter in a single compact unit and is sized for the 2" piping I have. Its main advantage other than high accuracy is that it can be installed either vertically or horizontally without any pipe length restrictions. I'll post a picture of the meter once I get it installed. Given your advice, I'm also planning on adding an additional ball valve to the return line that is currently missing one. I primarily want the flowmeter because the pump I am using is a new Pentair Intelliflow VS model and I want to be able to take advantage of the cost savings from running it at a lower rpm rate.

It may be hard to locate since I believe the product is pretty new to the market. It'ss made by H20Flow. II'd check with Dave at TFTestkits. He should be able to help you locate one. I haven't had a chance to install mine yet since the pool is located in Corolla on the outer banks of north carolina. Once Sandy finally leaves I'm hoping to get down there to work on the pool. As for sizing, it uses a standard Jandy 2" x 2.5" check valve housing. My plan is to locate it between the filter outlet and the SWG that I'm also installing. One of the reasons I was excited about the product is that it is NSF certified for 2% accuracy even when placed next to a 90 elbow. I'll post a picture when I get the plumbing finished.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.