DIY rebar and prep for adding a hot-tub to exising pool.

Since it seems I'm going to have to replace the deck around my concrete pool, I started thinking it would be a good time to possibly add a hot-tub. The pool is bean-shaped and the indentation would be a perfect place (it seems). Some sort of little waterfall between the tub and pool would be cool too, I guess?

Of course money is always and issue and I think I can do anything in the world, so I was wondering about doing all the prep work, rebar, plumbing, etc. myself and just have the pool company shoot the concrete when they pour a new deck.

Any comments, suggestions, tips, horror stories, etc. are greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone have some links to information where I can start learning the proper way to plumb the hot-tub, wire the rebar, etc.?

That would not be a good idea for a DIY project. That involves a number of expert skill sets. Not only is there demo to the wall, there is the rebar setting, re-doing the bonding system, gunite shooting, re-plumbing, and re-plastering/tiling the whole pool. Without the decking, your looking at almost the cost of a new pool.

The dividing wall will mean removing a section of wall slightly larger than the proposed spa. The existing can't be used as it isn't designed to have to hold water on it's back side. A double curtain of rebar would need to be epoxied there. Then the spa shell can be formed with rebar, re-plumbing done, a new bonding wire set and then the whole thing re-shot with gunite.

Taking out a part of the wall will also mean lost tile and plaster. That will need to be re-done for the whole pool and the new spa.

Like I said, it's a lot of coin.

Scott

In addition to all of what scott said, have you considered that you live in Michigan. I use my stand alone hot tub most in the winter time an attached spa is almost always winterized with the pool as they usually share the same plumbing at some point. So if you were planning on using the spa in the winter time you might be out of luck.

If you really want a hot tub I would consider a stand alone unit independent from the pool

X-PertPool said:
In addition to all of what scott said, have you considered that you live in Michigan. I use my stand alone hot tub most in the winter time an attached spa is almost always winterized with the pool as they usually share the same plumbing at some point. So if you were planning on using the spa in the winter time you might be out of luck.

If you really want a hot tub I would consider a stand alone unit independent from the pool

What he said ^^ :cheers:

Good points. I think I like the appeal of a hot-tub that is more built-in and permanent looking though. I hate those square box looking things with all the funky seats. Are there any hot-tubs that are made to be set *in* the ground rather than on a deck? So something that was next to the pool, but separate as far as the structure and plumbing.

You sound like my type of DIY guy.

I once put a 1200 sq/ft second floor addition on our house. The wife was plenty suprised when she came home one weekend and the whole back of the house, from the ridge line back, was gone. It was quite a project that took me a couple years to finally complete. But I banged every nail, soldered every joint, glued every connection, installed HVAC, ran wire, painted, tiled, installed wood floors and even but in a wood burning fireplace. Plenty of people have told me that they can't tell the house wasn't built that way.

Perhaps you should consider a wood hot tub. You could build one yourself, and if needed, plumb it into your current pool.

Like this:

Build-your-own-Redwood-hottub.jpg

you could always place a hot tub in the ground. The only thing you have to consider is leaving about 3 feet around the tub accessible for repair/maintenance. You could put deck boards on top to make it appear flush with the ground but still serviceable. Also if you did do the tub this way it would almost require a crane to set it into place though.

bigdav160 said:
You sound like my type of DIY guy.

Based on your description, I would have to agree. Usually the hardest part is the education phase and sometimes getting the right materials, but other than that I find I can usually do the work just fine.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and links. Using the tub year round would be desirable, so I'll have to think about this a bit more. At least I know it won't happen as part of fixing the deck or require modifying the pool, so I can continue that repair without worrying about the tub at this time.

Remember if you do somehow build a spa that uses it's independent plumbing Think about insulation (especially the plumbing running in the ground from the heater) running pipes through 55 degree ground will suck the heat out quick so you could forget getting a temp of 104 without insulating everything you can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hot springs has an option on some spas that just has exterior sheathing ready to accept tile, rock, brick, whatever exterior material you want, just like the exterior of a house. Then you could blend it in with your pool and deck. I'm sure one could be set in the ground with some planning for drainage, access, etc as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.