Buh-bye Baquacil

Mar 29, 2008
Cullman, AL
Hi All!

Well I’ve been lurking in the forums for months now trying to convince my wife (and myself) to drop the baqua-Crud. If all works out I’m taking vacation Friday to begin the conversion process.

I got my TF-100 Test Kit a few weeks ago in preparation. Here are the values I got tonight: TA = 70; PH = 7.5. This was all that I tested for, do I need to do any other test in the kit and post up for feedback before I start? I have been playing with Jason’s Calculator so I am familiar with how it works, very awesome tool by the way.

I’ve been stocking up on the bleach so far I’ve got 17 bottles of 6% in a 174 oz. size. This will get me started; I think my wife is embarrassed to buy more than two at a time. LOL I know I got a lot of looks a Wal-Mart with a buggy full.

Thanks!

-Kevin

I love the looks in Walmart. I'm finding it harder to buy the GV bleach in the big jugs because they are always out. It started around the first of May here, so I'm think there are a lot of people using bleach in their pools these days.

You better get used to buying more bottles at one time.

It took me about 100 gal to convert last fall!!!!

If you hav an ALDI near you, they have bleach pretty reasonable. Went last week and got 20 bottles for 99 cents each. That should last me a while.

This was all that I tested for, do I need to do any other test in the kit and post up for feedback before I start?

Kevin, You're OK and don't need any other tests. I think (and this is getting slightly picky) I would go ahead and lower the pH down to around 7.2 or so before I started on the conversion. The chlorine is somewhat more effective at a lower pH and it may well save you some Clorox purchases if you bring it down.

You would also do well to get some more Clorox. most conversions use quite a bit more than you've got and it wont go to waste.........you can use it in your new chlorine pool after the conversion.

Thanks for the advice & comments all.

Well is has commenced, the water is a nice translucent shade of green.
I've cleaned out 2 Wal-Mart’s of the store brand and in desperation one store of name brand (on sale :) ). 38 large bottles total in the arsenal.

I’m capturing images as I go so I can post later.

Progress report.

It had been roughly 48 hrs since I started the conversion, so far nothing as dramatic as I seen in some of the images posted by the members here. Mainly it’s been a shade of translucent green, but yesterday afternoon it did turn to a dark beer color for a while.

I’ve had to clean the filter one time it was pretty nasty, one possible problem I did see my pressure did not drop after I cleaned the filter, is this problem?

So far the water has consumed 60% of my bleach. LOL the garbage man is going to think what the heck this week.

These are my numbers just before I dosed it back up, these numbers are about 3hrs since the last dosing:
FC: 7
TC: 13.5
PH: 7.2

I need some reassurance here that I’m on the right track.
KT

Yes, you are doing great!

You should be starting to see the rate at which chlorine gets consumed slow down. As you continue the chlorine will last longer and longer, at least at night.

The conversion will damage the filter cartridges, raising the clean pressure. This is part of why they need to be replaced when you are done. This effect should be noticeable but not dramatic. If the clean cartridge pressure increases by more than about 6 psi over your old clean cartridge pressure then something else is happening.

Thanks Jason. You are correct in the amount of consumption it is steadily getting better.

I have a new cartridge in prep for this. When the process begin it was @ 8psi When i removed the cartridge it was @ 17psi and after cleaning the mess out reinstalled it was hanging around 15psi. Flow still looks good in & out.

Edit: Do I need to be vacuuming the bottom if i cant see any noticeable deposits from the conversion, or just let the skimmer handle it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pics added

Chronological order staring Thursday @ 7 pm Ending @ 5 pm Friday (Didn’t take any today :?

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Thanks Jason. I already do the weekly vacuuming, just wondering if any additional may be needed during the conversion. It's hard to tell if anything is on the bottom with my liner print.

Tonights values before last dose of the night.

FC: 8.5

TC: 12.5

PH: 7.2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.