Help Decide on Pool Builder

G

We have had a couple of pool builders come by and wanted to get your feedback on each and their build process.

Location - Toronto, ON

I have created the attached to compare line by line on what each one does. I have highlighted in yellow where I feel they are different.

Pool%20Quotes.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7786569/Pool Quotes.jpg

Kind of hard to read, but I have a few comments right off the bat:
- separate skimmer and drain lines are important. That should not be negotiable. Big lines too, no smaller than 2", preferably 2.5", run individually to the pad.
- 2 returns is not very many. I would recommend more (4 or 5)
- 2 LED lights would sure be fun. Not a deal-breaker though.
- Flex PVC is not something we generally recommend...it works well sometimes, and causes big problems other times.

If you click on the dropbox link, it opens the documents side by side. If you click on the document it enlarges the document where my old eyes can read it better. Hope that helps!

imrodee said:
If you click on the dropbox link, it opens the documents side by side. If you click on the document it enlarges the document where my old eyes can read it better. Hope that helps!
Thank you for pointing that out.

Please can anyone else help?

As for the decking, does it make a big difference if 1/2" rebar or mesh is used?

Also, builder B is addling 6" sono-tubes at 3' centers along the decking whereas builder A is not...

Who would you pick? Or should I make a list of all the must haves and have one of them do it?

Question - why do we need a separate skimmer and return line? Builder B is refusing to do it...

It gives you more flexibility, in that you can control where suction is coming from. For example, if you wanted to run just the skimmer for a while to clean the surface quickly, you just need to turn a valve at the equipment pad. Same if you want to sweep something into the drain, just turn the valve. It also enables you to easily drain the pool using the main drains, which is possible when it's plumbed through the skimmer but not reliable or convenient.

Another thought: lots of people, especially in cold climates, don't even have main drains. They can be difficult to winterize, from what I've read.

Any other comments please that can help us decide who to go with?

Our main concerns (and not sure if they are valid are):

1. Using wire mesh vs rebar
2. Using flex pipe instead of Schedule 40
3. Should we have a separate skimmer and return line?
4. Builder B is addling 6" sono-tubes at 3' centers along the decking whereas builder A is not

I have not undergone a build myself, but I will address the main drain thing re: Melt's comment, since I am roughly as far north as Toronto (well, as far as London anyway ;) :
They can be difficult to winterize, from what I've read.

This may be true if you are not using the correct tool or set up. But I would not give up having that extra circulation, particularly when our diving well is 9'. We used a pool co. to close, and they had a nicely configured devise that blew out the MD from the skimmer, and man, no doubt did they make it bubble and clear that line. In other words, no difficulty winterizing at all -- but DIYers using a leaf blower won't be able to achieve the same result.

So on a new pool with a main drain in TO, you'll simply want to invest in either an adequate air compressor OR just elect to hire a good pool co to handle your closing. It's a big investment. Comparatively, the labor to close or the air compressor are not huge line items ;)

Also, in general, my plumber friend sez flex is the root of all evil. Have no idea why. To him it's what companies use when trying to cut corners and get the low bid.

Thank you for the feedback on the flex pipe. I will insist that Schedule 40 PVC is used.

Thoughts on the other items?

1. Using wire mesh vs rebar
2. Builder B is addling 6" sono-tubes at 3' centers along the decking whereas builder A is not

Anything else I may have missed?

Would really appreciate some help before we sign with any builder...

I don't know if you have to comply with the VGB act there in CA, or if you have a comparable code, but if you do; the main drains have to be plumbed to prevent entrapment even if they're not connected to the skimmer. Most PB's install two main drains at least 3' (1M) apart connected by a common header in order to comply. That's a good idea even of code where you are doesn't require it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.