Does chlorine in powder form raise CYA level?

jblizzle said:
There are quite a few reports of the CYA dropping over the winter ... a bacteria may convert it from CYA to ammonia. If the ammonia is still present in the spring, then you have the combat it with more chlorine, but then you may not have to replace water to reduce the CYA level.

So, you could either change water now or wait until spring to see what condition the water is. Maybe the CYA is lower or gone and you do not need to replace water, or maybe it is still high and you can replace the water then.

So, summer is around the corner and the pool water is getting warmer, which means algea is showing its ugly head already. CYA has remained at about 88 throughout the winter. I may have to do a partial drain later this summer. In the meantime, could I keep a high chlorine level for a few weeks, say 10ppm? I typically keep it around 3-4ppm but not good enough to keep the algea out of it. Any other ideas? I'll be out of town for two weeks.

Check the minimum FC level required for your CYA in Pool School, I think it is 7ppm. But if you already have algae that is not really going to help. You need to go through the shock process which would be easier at a lower cya level. You should have opened before the water warmed up.

I had 2 pool store employees vehemently tell me that dichlor doesn't have CYA in it as well. Fortunately I had been here and realized that they really don't know what they are talking about.

They also seemed to not understand at all that you could use the same stuff to keep your pool chlorinated as you could to shock it - what they wanted to do was sell me dichlor for shock, and trichlor tabs for maintenance - ultimately would make my CYA so high I wouldn't be able to keep FC in solution. I couldn't use calcium hypochlorate either b/c I have high calcium hardness.

Liquid chlorine or bleach will work as there is no CYA in them, lithium hypochlorate will also work (powder) but I hear it's expensive and I couldn't even find it in my town after looking at 3 pool stores, wal mart, home depot, and lowes. Thus, I went with the bleach after a partial drain/refill and got my CYA back down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.