pool and chemical types

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

I am meeting with our pool designer today and you guys have already helped immensenly...below are the spec's and I wanted to get your feedback on the Chlorinator Fusion Nature 2? Our pool size is noted below, and we have selected to go with a chlorine-based pool bc of some issues with salt/corrosion/stones/etc. What would be a better solution than what is selected for a pool our size? We are located in SE Texas if you need the region.

Thank you,
tstex

Gallons: Pool 13,500, Spa 700
Pumps: Pool, 3/4hp Jandy Stealth, full rated, spa & pool cleaners, 1.5hp Jandy Steath, full rated, scuppers, 1hp Jandy Stealth, full rated
Equip: filter Jandy CL/340m 340sqft, heater jandy LXI250 250KBTU, pool cleaner Paramount in-floor CyClean, Chlorinator Fusion Nature 2, airblower Polaris QT 1.5HP/120 V
Controller Zodiac / Aqualink RS/ PDA /Smt Ph App
Power Center: Zodiac /Aqualink RS Power Center

I agree and do not want to use the Nature 2 Fusion option...based on the spec's provided, what would he the optimal solution?

I would add that I would rather pay a little more up front and save more money and time in the long-run. So, instead of the Nature2 Fusion, what do you guys use and why?

Thank you very much,
tstex

Most here would probably recommend either the liquidator or a peristaltic pump of some type - the pump being the more reliable of the two from all indications. These peristaltic pump systems do not appear to be available in a nice neat commercialized package however so you are straying into DIY territory I think.

Either approach allows you to use liquid chlorine and provides some automation. This removes the CYA and CH rise caused by use of other forms of chlorine without introducing an SWCG system or doing manual daily dosing with liquid chlorine.

Also, what kind of stone is it that you're concerned about? Salt is just a chlorine pool that's automated and simply has a higher salt load. But it's still a "chlorine" pool because that's what the generator produces from the salt.
Some, if not many, builders are adverse to salt water generators for fear the stone will wear and there could be bonding problems...and some folks believe it also cuts into the profits of those with retail locations. But many posters here will tell you they've had no problems with a properly maintained swg and enjoy the inherent convenience of same. Again, I don't have one (h. Is opposed for 2 of the 3 reasons I mentioned) but you might want to dig a little deeper on it.

Thanks for your responses.

First, we have not pulled the trigger yet, so the board is still open. I am trying to determine what water regularuty maintenenace options are the most automated without incurring the downsides heavy metal concentrations, CYA and other...I will stay away from the tablets, but I have not discerned a viable option yet.

Next, we are doing away with the bottom floor cleaners and going with the more conventional Polaris or thereof. Mark convinced me not only are they real energy hogs but you cannot take advantage of VS-Pumps bc they have to be running on high all the time. Plus, they are not the best cleaning agents and the heads stick later.

Finally, we would travertine stone around the pool. I know you can still do salt, but I am not into sealing the stones every 6-12 months, plus if you have a lot of metal finishings around the house, the evaporation of the salt corrodes...I have seen it here all the time - we live in Houston and it being humid all the time, provides an excellent medium for moving the NaCl where you do not want it.

Again, I am open on what type of chem regulation system to install, I just need some type of make/models to research.

Thank you very much,
tstex

Tsp, if you haven't pulled the trigger yet, you might also want to post for advice about in floor cleaning systems. I've seen occasional threads that might suggest these are a PITA but have no direct experience myself.
At our former house, we solicited quotes to have a pool installed. All bids included an in-floor cleaning system costing about 6-7 grand. We never went forward with that build since we chose instead to move into a house with a pool. After consulting with friends who were more knowledgeable about pools than I was at the time, all advised against the in-floor cleaning system. Some of them knew people that had issues with them and the repairs were a nightmare.
The main issues are:
  • 1. Initial Cost. Using my estimate of 6-7 grand as an example and comparing that to the cost of a robotic pool cleaner (many are in the range of $500 - $1,000), I doubt that I would ever go through that many robotic cleaners to equal the installation cost of the in-floor system. On my bids, the traditional pool cleaner plumbing was included in the base cost; The in-floor system was an "upgrade".
  • 2. Potential Repair Cost. The in-floor systems have that much more plumbing under the pool compared to the traditional pool cleaner port. That introduces more opportunities for leaks. If that happens, and since the plumbing is under the pool, it is more difficult and costly to repair.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.