New build pool coping and deck question

farsider3000

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 7, 2012
Houston, TX
We are in the middle of construction and I just laid my travertine coping down and I am really trying to understand how the travertine is not undersized or too short since it does not cover the entire edge beam of my pool. It seems that the pea gravel deck will have to be poured extremely shallow as it butts up against the travertine.

Maybe I am not understanding the construction technique but it seems that the coping needs to be larger to cover the entire pool gunite edge so that the deck can be poured at the same thickness all the way up the the edge of the coping.

[attachment=0:1tucnkii]IMG_0610.JPG[/attachment:1tucnkii]

Attachments

• IMG_0610.JPG
    IMG_0610.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 203
I am no expert...But having been avaible while my pool was built, and later finding all the mistakes made by costly repairs, i have learned much.

That is incorrect...If its installed that way, the deck will have to actually sit on the beam wall...That is NOT good...I would suggest running another coarse of material behind the coping , perhaps a contrasting color, to cover the beam completely..

Just-a-PB said:
We would generally 45 the back of the pool beam to better accept the poured concrete, and keep the joint behind the coping.

A very good alternitave....easier before the pour, then after I am sure.....

It looks like a thick wall to me ...mine is only 12" thick, full of steele, and very stout...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.