Pump Seals

Feb 10, 2010
I have a 1.5 HP pump and I would like to know if anyone has had any problems with pump seals if they were adding chemicals through their pool skimmer. I have added CYA to my pool through the pool skimmer according to the directions and on occasion, liquid chlorine. The reason I ask is that the pump manufactuer in their instructions (I saw this on the web too) says that chemicals should not be added in front of the pump due to possible damage to the seals. Also does anyone know the most commonly used pump seal?; it cannot be Viton, that has high chemical resistance, but is expensive. I appreciate any advice you can give me.

That's going to be a tough question for someone to answer. In order to know if it was a chemical issue you'd have to have the failed seal forensically tested and it just isn't worth it. Most people having problems with seals just replace them and never think to attribute the cause to anything.

You shouldn't be pouring chemicals in the skimmer anyway. The pump mfg's aren't the only ones recommonding that you not add chemicals to the skimmer. This website promotes not adding chemicals to the skimmer. It can do more damage than just ruin a seal.

By the way, the elastomer in water pump seals is most likely EPDM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.