Another ScreenLogic vs Autelis

phipsi1237

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 16, 2011
Tularosa, NM
I was ready to order the Autelis unit with the outdoor enclosure to make it wireless. I had it in the checkout cart but hesitated because I wasn't sure about the bare wire vs standard plug and whether I should get the GFCI upgrade for the outdoor enclosure. By the time I was ready to place the order, the outdoor enclosure was out of stock!!! So, I emailed Autelis and this was the conversation.

ME: I really want to order the automation controller for the Pentair system, but I need the outdoor enclosure as well. Any ideas when it’ll be back in stock? I’ve signed up for the notification already, just wanted an idea of when to expect it.

THEM: Thanks for your inquiry. We have one unit in stock and have updated the inventory however we have received multiple requests for this item and it should sell out promptly. We are currently evaluating new options for the wireless kit hardware and additional inventory may not be available right away. In the meantime we can definitely make recommendations for DIY options.

ME: Well, if something new and improved is coming out, I definitely don't want to buy something that will be outdated next month. Is just the outdoor enclosure changing? I'm military and moving in less than 2 weeks without the family. So, I need something soon.

THEM: Your concerns are understandable. There won't be anything new within the next 1-2 months. During that time we may restock small quantities of the current outdoor kit, use a more expensive preconfigured enclosure, or may discontinue the outdoor kit. However if you would like something within the next 1-2 weeks we would recommend that your purchase the wireless bridge and use our DIY enclosure instructions (see attached).

SOOOO..........

I'm attaching their DIY enclosure file. My questions is: What should I do? If I'm having to build the enclosure myself and buy a separate wireless bridge, should I just go ahead with the ScreenLogic for about $100 more, yet still build the enclosure for wireless myself. Or, should I shell out the extra for the complete Pentair ScreenLogic setup with wireless adapter for several hundred more? Or, should I buy their controlling unit and build the enclosure myself.

All thoughts about this are greatly greatly appreciated. I'm running out of time.

Thanks,

Bill

Attachments

• DIY Outdoor.pdf
    48.3 KB · Views: 97
I think it really depends on what you want to accomplish. For me, the big issue was not price but rather, the ability to control this from my Android phone. In addition, the ability to directly access the controller via a web-based server instead of a 2nd party relay server was very appealing. In my case, I ended up running Cat5e to the pool house for several reasons in addition to the wired connection to the controller (e.g. streaming audio/video media). That direct line also allows me to connect a wired WiFi hotspot in the backyard where signals from the house drop out. I admit that it was a major pain setting this up though.

Several vendors sell WiFi to ethernet bridges. Just check Amazon or your local office supply store. In addition, you can find NEMA outdoor rated boxes from HD, etc. So while Autelis' outdoor box looks nice, I don't think you would need to be wedded to it. As for the GFCI part, I would just wire it off of the GFCI breaker that powers the Easytouch itself. In my case, the Autelis unit lives inside the pool house (and the outlets are GFCI protected).

In any event, the decision should really be which unit you want, not so much the price. There are significant advantages to both systems, and in side by side comparison, they offer some disadvantages. The SL2 is really full-featured and offers plenty of control over your Pentair based system. The Autelis is not as full featured, but offers simplicity, direct web control without a relay server for outside connections, and web notifications beyond what the SL2 can do. In addition, the latter interfaces quite well with home automation and offers control through HTML GET commands. Down the road, the $100 price difference is not going to be that important if you are not happy with your purchase.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.