I think I have scale problem looking for best solution.

Richmondtree

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 9, 2012
Richmond, Virginia
Hi,

I've had a wonderful swimming year thanks to folks at TFP. I do think I have unfortunately run into a scale problem. If anybody disagrees with my diagnosis please say so.

The problem developed when I was on vacation for 2 weeks in August. I came home and there was an off white colored coating over much of the pool. It can be scratched off with abrasion and some elbow grease.

At that time I got back from vacation the Ph was >>>8 and the calcium was 1000. My pool was re plastered in the spring and keeping up with the chemistry has been a chore. I have to confess I should have known better. And I'm kind of beating myself up even though I was checking on my pool daily up until my vacation. I was aware of the Ph issue and had left instructions to add acid but it was inadequate obviously. I had problems measuring the CA because it was so high. Dave S. helped me out and even recommended draining off the water,I didn't because vacation was coming up, and I have serious drainage problems in my back yard. I wish I had listened to him though. :hammer: :whip:

Now the chemistry is better ph 7.2 TA 60 CA is still 1000 and I plan to drain and refill. However I still need almost daily addition of acid.

Do you all agree problem is scale? What would be the best and easiest way to get the pool white again? I prefer to do things myself if possible.

Also should I not close my pool this winter since the plastering is still causing the CA to rise and almost daily addition of acid are still needed?

Thanks.

This may not be the most popular solution but I have had success, with no problems, using an acid shock. I add enough acid to bring the ALK to 0, leave it overnight...usually the scale disappears....then bring it back up to 7.2 ph and 80 ALK. (not to be done with vinyl lined pools).

Yes, the problem is scale! You need to drain and refill, and then you can:
- keep the pH on the low side (7-ish) and the TA low, and brush, and the scale will gradually disappear. How long it takes depends on how much there is!
- or, have the pool acid washed ($$)

I had scale in my pool. Lowered the TA, kept a close watch on my pH, and using the Pool Calculator, I kept the CSI index slightly negative. Within a matter of several weeks the scale started to disappear. Now, no more scale.

chiefwej said:
I had scale in my pool. Lowered the TA, kept a close watch on my pH, and using the Pool Calculator, I kept the CSI index slightly negative. Within a matter of several weeks the scale started to disappear. Now, no more scale.

Did you have to brush it excessively, just normal or something different?

Nope, I have an in floor cleaning system and seldom brush the pool. I know I should but I've been pretty lazy about it. I just lowered the CH with a partial drain, then kept pH and TA in control so that the CSI stayed just negative of zero, and the scale went away. Over time, it just re dissolved into the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.