Older DE Filter- Low pressure when in filter setting

Oct 17, 2012
Read over the other gentleman's DE filter issue and I am having issues of my own with an older system, just a little different. When the selector is in filter i have little to no pressure coming from my jets and the booster pump is not getting enough pressure to run the sweeper. This is however not at all a problem when I switch to re circulation, tons of pressure and the sweeper works phenomenally.

Brand new to pools here- Tried reading and I'm assuming there may be a blockage somewhere. I cleaned all baskets and pump intake basket, tried clearing by backwashing and rinsing but no luck what so ever. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dan.

Welcome to TFP!!!. Clearly sounds like something is wrong in the filter.

When was the last time you opened it up and disassembled the grids for a thorough cleaning? If it was ever run without DE, the grids can clog up pretty easily. And if any scale has built up on them, you may need to soak them in soap and then in acid.

Some reading:
use-and-care-for-de-filters-t4086.html

Thank you for the rapid response!

The answer is- I don't know when it was taken apart or even back washed for that matter. The previous owners did a less than great job with maintenance in general. Purchased the house 2 months ago and have been figuring this as I go. What I do know is that the back wash outlet was capped off so I fixed that and that a Leslie's guy told me they wouldn't touch my filter because of its age. I do not know the brand but it is secured and held together by a good 20-30 bolts. I will follow your link and see about disassembling it for a cleaning. And go from there.

Thanks a ton. Dan

This is my filter assembly. How much of a pain will this be to service? I just need it to last me till spring... And if anyone knows what brand it is I can maybe find an online resource.

Thanks ahead,

Dan

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 34
It's a pain due to all the bolts you have to remove and the weight of the top section.

Does the pressure gauge work? If it doesn't, I'd suggest getting a new one and putting it on so you can get some pressure readings.

Have you tried backwashing it good since you fixed the backwash line?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Christian, can't thank you enough for your time. In your opinion is this something we should just go ahead and replace with a new unit? And what would be a suitable model to replace with? I live in Fort Worth TX and the pool is roughly 30-35K Gal. It is a chlorine pool if all that info helps. I am looking at a Hayward pro grid 60sf on your website. Thanks again for your time.

No problem, happy to help! It really depends what kind of shape it is in internally and your budget. If it's in the budget I would replace it. Replacement parts are still available though, so if the guts are in decent shape it will be a lot cheaper to just stick with what you have. If you do decide to go with something new my personal favorite is the Pentair Quad DE system. They're pretty awesome! I hesitate to recommend Hayward equipment anymore as I've had a lot of problems with it recently. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with. I see you said you're looking on my site so if you decide to buy from me send me a PM and I'll see if I can work a deal for you ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.