Can I close the pool but keep open the attached spa?

Is the caretaker in the spa as well? Do you have returns into the spa that are not the floor system? To maintain circulation you need to be able to have suction and return to the spa only and then maintain the chemical levels. If the only return is the jets, I am thinking the constant aeration would drive the pH up.

Where are you located? What weather are you expecting? Add your pool and equipment info to your signature.

esajl said:
I have an Anthony pool, circa 1985, with the "caretaker" system. It has an attached spa. My wife would like to close the pool, but keep using the spa. Is this possible to do?

This is only possible if the pool and spa can be totally isolated from each other. Often problematical.

The spa has two drains, and one caretaker valve in the floor to circulate chlorinated water to the spa when the pool is the primary use. It has four jets that are specific to the spa when that is the primary use. The valves for the system can be turned so that the sole (I think) intake and return are for the spa, the pool, or both. Whether turning the valves so that the sole drain and return is through the spa jets constitutes a "total isolation," I don't know.

I'm in NY and obviously the swimming season is over.

I always wonder about the pool/spa combo here in the north, for this reason. Can you contact the original builder and find out what his thoughts re winter were on construction? Perhaps that was accommodated in the design. You'd need a winter cover for the spa part the could handle the snow load -- is it a shape that can be covered?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.