Surge Tank vs Catch Basin??????

Oct 15, 2012
I am accepting bids on a double negative edge swimming pool. The bids to build the pool with a more traditional catch basin are almost $25k more than the bids to build a channel off the two walls that diverts the water to a surge tank.

Using a cantilever channel off the two negative edge walls allows me to eliminate 7 piers; however, I don't want to spend all of this money on an unproven design. Several of the contractors that submitted bids and the engineer who completed the design have expressed concern about using the surge tank concept; however, I obviously can't just ignore the savings.

From my research, it appears that the biggest negatives of the surge tank are properly sizing the resevoir channels and using the correct sized pumps back from the surge tank to the pool.

I would greatly appreciate any insight that may assist me in making a good choice.

Thanks.

Surge tank pools are used successfully all over the world. As you noted, properly sizing the components are the big concerns. However, it's not rocket science, a decent hydraulic engineer can handle it without any problem at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.