Grass growing thru liner (pic added)

erivette

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
South Texas
UGH!!! I just noticed 4 places where grass is growing in my pool (that's only been up 4 months). I'm afraid if I leave it till spring it will spread and I'll have a forest. But the water is so cold. Anyone know if it will get much worse? Or do I have no choice but to brave the cold?

Re: Grass growing thru liner

Is it bamboo? That's one aggressive grass in any case. So this is a case of grass actually puncturing the liner by growing - not a case where a rip or tear allowed grass through - correct?

Hard to see because my phone won't zoom. This is just 1 of the 4 spots. Yes, it's leaking. On the plus side, my water is crystal clear! (thanks to BBB)
[attachment=0:2xfqe46z]Grass in pool.jpg[/attachment:2xfqe46z]

Attachments

• Grass in pool.jpg
    Grass in pool.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 522
Re: Grass growing thru liner

pwrstrk said:
Is the liner Leaking? Nut grass is nasty stuff. I don't know how to stop it from growing now. Might have to put a gorilla pad under the liner.

X2 on the nut grass. That stuff will grow through just about everything. Nasty stuff and is not easily killed. I fought that battle for over a year at my house when we bought it. I would dig it up everyday down to the nut and the next day there would be 5 new sprouts.

Here is what I would do. Pull out the blades (the best you can hopefully pulling out some root) then inject a full syringe of groundclear or Ortho Max Nutsedge Killer. Then patch the hole from the injection point / hole from the nutgrass. My only other Idea would be an underwater lawnmower.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Injecting a defoliant might work but that may get to be very painful. You may just have to bite the bullet and pull up the liner and lay down some type of impervious barrier.

You can also inject nutsedge killer under the edge of the pool from the outside. You'll need to saturate the ground with it so it'll migrate as far toward the middle as possible. Then when the grass dies, remove the blades and patch the holes.

My thought was a vinyl lined pool should never be drained because it will shrink. I hate to buy a new liner when this one is only 4 months old. Not to mention wasting 23000 gallons of crystal clear water. I'm going to try injecting nutgrass killer under pool as Bama Rambler suggested. I just hope when the grass dies that it doesn't make the leak worse because I can't get in that cold water to patch it now. We must be spoiled here because we've had rain and a cold front so the water is about 75. Fingers crossed that this works. Thanks!

Ha, 3 weeks ago I took off my solar cover for the first time in a couple of weeks. There were so many leaves at the bottom that I thought it might take all day to fish them out with the leaf rake as my deck only surrounds about 1/3 of the pool. So I jumped in and gathered them all and vacuumed, with my manual vac. Water was 62! It was pretty uncomfortable (especially diving to the bottom) but I did get used to it eventually.

When I closed last weekend though I managed to do the cleaning all from the deck and a step ladder walking around, I was not going to try it at 58 degrees!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.