For those that use bleach bottles to keep the cover down

tick221

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2011
How much do you find you need to fill them to keep the cover down while not tearing the grommets out?? Also if anyone has some pictures of how they did theirs I would greatly appreciate it if they could post them.

Thanks in advance

I used bottles last year and went about 1/3 full. I tied a rope through the handle and used old bungie cord hooks on the ropes to hook to the grommet. I've also been using a cable/winch setup and clips. All to try and keep the wind from getting under to no avail. For me the water jugs help to get the pool cover on and situated but do nothing to stop the wind from getting under there. This year I'm going to try just the cable/winch and then some Pool Winter Cover Seal Wrap. Hopefully that wrap will keep the wind out.

I filled mine about half full. Here is a picture that shows one of the jugs. I have 30 hanging around the pool.
medium.jpg

MikeInNH said:
I used bottles last year and went about 1/3 full. I tied a rope through the handle and used old bungie cord hooks on the ropes to hook to the grommet. I've also been using a cable/winch setup and clips. All to try and keep the wind from getting under to no avail. For me the water jugs help to get the pool cover on and situated but do nothing to stop the wind from getting under there. This year I'm going to try just the cable/winch and then some Pool Winter Cover Seal Wrap. Hopefully that wrap will keep the wind out.

My neighbor had the I stalker winterized. They didn't use jugs, only the cover seal wrap. It has already come off, and I suspect their cover will be sailing thru the air by next week.

What about putting a weight of some sort in the center of the cover? This will reduce the flapping to just the edges where the jugs are. This way the wind won't be able to get enough lift to pull the cover off.

Radical idea... Go to the moving or storage place of your choice and get a couple of the plastic wrap spools and wrap the edge of the pool keeping the wind out.

-sent with Tapatalk 2

I fill the jugs about 3/4ths full and haven't had them tear the grommets out. However, our average wind here is barely a breeze compared to some places. If I thought wind was a problem I'd add some water on top of the cover to hold it down.

I attach the jugs to the cover with the small ball ended bungies.

Yeah I think I'm in trouble here, I'm waiting for my bungees to arrive but the little wind we have now is already getting under the cover and pulling out the parts I've tucked under the top rail. We have some really windy nights through the winter and I really don't want to walk three streets over to find my cover. I have 4x8 foot pillow under the cover but I'm not sure if that is staying there or not. I feel and correct me if Im wrong the more of the cover I can get in contact with the water the better off I will be.

Thanks again for all the replies

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are borrowing this idea from friends who use it all the time and haven't had a problem. You fill bleach/milk jugs and place them all around the outside of the pool on the ground. Then, you tie rope to one jug, then cross that rope completely over the top of the pool to the opposite side, and tie the other end to a jug on that side. And you do this with multiple ropes crossing to the opposite side. The ropes then hold the cover down. Think of a pizza and you slice from one side to the other, making many slices. Each 'slice' mark represents rope crossing over the pool attaching to a jug on the other side. Hope this is clear! This will be our first year trying it...

Fantastic idea spf, thanks for posting this. Anything that I can do to keep my water clean throughout the winter is worth trying

Are you planning on using a pillow?

PAGirl said:
My neighbor had the I stalker winterized. They didn't use jugs, only the cover seal wrap. It has already come off, and I suspect their cover will be sailing thru the air by next week.
I would still use the cable I have to cinch it down. I need a way to keep the wind out. I ordered some wrap so we'll see how well it works.

tick221 said:
I feel and correct me if Im wrong the more of the cover I can get in contact with the water the better off I will be.
If it's in a windy area it won't help any. Mine sits on the water and can have 2 inches of water on top. The wind blows hard enough that all the water on top gets pushed to the other end and stays there. I assume it just equalizes with the water underneath. Makes siphoning the water off the cover easier though.

y_not said:
PAGirl said:
My neighbor had the I stalker winterized. They didn't use jugs, only the cover seal wKalready come off, and I suspect their cover will be sailing thru the air by next week.

OK I have to ask, what is an "I stalker"?

It's a victim of auto correct, lol. Supposed to say installer winterize. Their cover is very close to coming off, and it was just put on 2 weeks ago.

spf30 said:
We are borrowing this idea from friends who use it all the time and haven't had a problem. You fill bleach/milk jugs and place them all around the outside of the pool on the ground. Then, you tie rope to one jug, then cross that rope completely over the top of the pool to the opposite side, and tie the other end to a jug on that side. And you do this with multiple ropes crossing to the opposite side. The ropes then hold the cover down. Think of a pizza and you slice from one side to the other, making many slices. Each 'slice' mark represents rope crossing over the pool attaching to a jug on the other side. Hope this is clear! This will be our first year trying it...

If you are sitting them on the ground, why not just put in some tent stakes? You could even put tent stakes in the ground, and then just cover them with landscape gravel. When it comes time to close, expose the tops of the stakes, and loop rope all around the outside of the pool. Through a grommet, to a stake, up to the next grommet, down to the next stake, up the the next grommet, etc.

Heck, if you live in one of those areas that gets crazy wind, you could even design this when you install the ABG by looping a strap around each paver block that goes under the legs, and having an eye ring hooked to the strap. That way, for the cover to come off, the wind would have to either rip out the grommets, break the hold down rope, or flip the pool over (and if your wind does that, well than I suggest you say goodbye to Dorothy and Toto and move out of Kansas)

-dave

First year AGP owner. Wind is absolutely horrible at our place. I joke there is 365 days a year, and it must be windy 320 of them at our home. Winter can be brutely windy.
I'm going with multiple pronged attack.
Water on cover, wire with ratched tire downs threw grommets on liner, clorox bottles 3/4 full hanging from grommets, and a pizza pie sliced look clothes line held in place by tent stakes at opposing ends of the pool.
If I could find a big enough spider web design bungee/clothes line cord cover for a 24' pool, I'd use it to hold down the cover. Actually thinking of trying to make one if I make it through our first winter.

Any other ideas out there would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.