Taking down an intex with through the wall skimmer

gayler

Apr 4, 2009
Lakin Ks
Thanks everyone for helping me have a wonderfull swim season! I've added a through the wall skimmer to my intex and need to know if I should leave it attatched when I take it down, or take it off? If I take it off will the liner shrink or stretch and holes not line up again? Thanks!

i had same issue and in the face of no input here i opted to take it off. we can compare notes in the spring to see if either of us have issues.

Ooh, I thought you were saying you already took the pool down and had chosen to leave it on. If you haven't decided yet, don't leave it on just for my little experiment. I'll post back in the Spring and report how it goes to re-install - but I have no clue which way we should have gone. Good luck.

Putting the pool back up today. Last year at closing we took the skimmer off. Now wondering if we should put it back on prior to or after partial filling? Anyone have any experience either way to share?

If it were my pool, I'd start filling it and as the water rises up to the skimmer cut out, I'd reinstall. My thinking is, the water would make the walls of the Intex firmer as water pushes out on it than it not having any water in it. Let us know how it goes for you! :goodjob:

I put it on pre-fill, but after it was set up. Was afraid filling it would stretch the rectangular cut out and i wouldn't be able to get screws in original holes. Seems to be okay but won't know it it is water-tight for about 15 hours i'm guessing. Watching this thing fill is about as fast-paced as watching
paint dry.

I took mine off last year. This year I put it back on with the pool erected but no water. Went back into the original holes with no problem at all. No leaks, no issues. But, I'm wondering if taking them out/putting them in too often will stretch the holes -- so this year I'm planning to leave the skimmer on unless my husband convinces me it is to hard to cram it into the trash can for storage that way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To clarify, when I originally installed the skimmer (requiring the liner to be cut), I followed advice I read here - which was to fill the pool to a bit under the height you want to put the skimmer. The thinking was the liner would have more support or resistance and it would work better. It worked well. No experience with doing an initial install/liner cut with the pool empty.

Thanks for the quick update!

My pool is already full, so I too will drain it down a little below the skimmer location and plunge the knife in :eek:

Glad to hear you didn't have any trouble getting the skimmer back on OK. I would be worried about folding up the pool with it attached. It just seems like trouble.

Thanks again for the update!

Jim

I just put up a pool with the in wall skimmer. The instructions were to install the skimmer before adding water.

I will be drilling a hole in my skimmer to allow rainwater to drain off as needed, been getting some serious overfill here due to rains.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.