Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where to get decent test kits?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where to get decent test kits?

Anyone know where the best place is to get test kits either locally in British Columbia, Canada or online in Canada?
    Thanks.
    (: Jan :)

2. Back To Top    #2
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

This is the only site I have come across....I got my original TFP Kit from Dave, but we have since found out that Taylor is very PROTECTIVE OF THEIR DISTRIBUTORS, and will not allow additional distributors.

Here is the site.

http://piscines-apollo.com/english_taylor.htm

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow! That's pretty spendy. But, I guess part of that price is the "free" magnetic stirrer.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4

I think Leslie's ships to Canada, and their FAS-DPD kit is very good (nearly identical to the Taylor kit)

Leslies FAS-DPD kit

EDIT: Sorry! It looks like Leslie's doesn't ship to Canada. I apologize if I got your hopes up.

Good Times

5. Back To Top    #5
    Holy ****! That seems like a ridiculous mark up. Is the government pocketing that much, or is this gouging because of supply restriction?
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

6. Back To Top    #6

What is it with Canada? Why can you not ship the test kits there? Is it that they won't allow chemicals in the mail or something? Just curious is all, I have seen alot of things now where nothing can be shipped to Canada, and not one explanation. That sucks, and I find it insane that something cannot be done about it.
    I say that everyone in Canada just get together and pay for gas, and just have Dave drive them up to you.
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

7. Back To Top    #7
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

I think Dave can answer that best, but I am thinking certain liquids are restricted coming across the border. I also believe Taylor is protecting their base and not allowing certain customers to start selling kits. I know, Dave an I were going to set up a Canadian TFP Test Kit site, but for the life of me I couldnt get anywhere with Taylor. The other problems with ordering from South of the Border for us, is the DUTY we can get hit with, sometimes it can be 100% of the price of something you are ordering, if tis made in the states..NO DUTY..if any part of it is IMPORTED into the states before final manufacturing...MAJOR DUTY.
    I think with Shipping and all I paid 70 for my kit from Dave before this cross border stuff started. We are so backwards up here sometimes its scary.

Rik

8. Back To Top    #8
    Taylor has an exclusive arraignment with Lowry & Associates in Newmarket, Ontario for all sales in Canada. Anyone who wants a Taylor kit in Canada must go through them or one of their dealers.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

For all we know some idiot at Taylor sold exclusive rights to market their product to a single entity for all of Canada. This has happened before with larger companies that Taylor. By the time they figure out exactly what the idiot did it is too late and there is not much they can do about it until the rights expire.

Not saying this happened, but it has before.
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

10. Back To Top    #10
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

Jason, thats correct, but they in turn sell to Companies and were unwilling to set me up for Distribution throughout Canada. I was dealing with one of their vendors in Nova Scotia. To me, it was stupid, we can sell these kits in Canada for the same amount, but I feel some rather large mark ups are the cause of the higher then normal prices.
    I am in the sales game, I know all about exclusive distributorships and the like and Taylor is only opening the door for competition to step up. Also, its a way of protecting their Pool Doors that more then likely carry other items from these other Distributors.

11. Back To Top    #11

Rovers1973, I found a Taylor K2005 (God only knows how old it is) at a pool dealers here selling for RM400(US$122).

Find out who lives next door to Dave to have them ship for you without putting Dave in trouble. He/she gets some comission plus special discount from Dave (or as TPF Supporter). I say, it's a win, win, win.
    8,000 gal IG concrete & tiled lap pool, 1/2 hp pump, 24" sand filter, SWG Auto Clean, whole pool under shed, 3 X 2ft waterfall one end overflow the other end. TF100 Testkit. 80 F Water whole year round.

12. Back To Top    #12

Vincent,

I think the model kit from Taylor you should be looking for is a K-2006 and not the 2005. I have the 2006-c.

There are some older threads from last season that I made a few posts on where they will ship to canada for a fair price. Not as cheap as the TF kit, but, still not bending you over a barrel too badly. Would be nice if the TF Kit was available up here.

Rovers I sent you a pm.
    62,800 Litre IG Vinyl
    Sand Filter
    1HP Super Pump
    Clearwater/Zodiac LM2-24S SWG
    Aquabot Turbo Robot Cleaner
    250K NG Heater