Pool heater recommendations

May 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
I have approximately 10,000 gallon below ground gunnite pool with 1.5 pentair pump. We're pretty happy with the setup but would like to heat the pool for year round usage. I know nothing about heaters. Where should I start? Gas? Electric? Solar? And how effective are the different types of heaters at heating water (like I need it heated more than 4 degrees)? I realize we're probably adding a new utility bill on by doing this, but.. I really enjoy my late evening swims after I get the kids to bed so it's something I'm willing to pay for.

What is your water temp in the worst case (winter)? How warm do you want it?

Solar only has upfront cost and can add heat slowly. Combined with a cover should extend your season some. The solar is nice to help maintain temps in the shoulder seasons and can easily bump the temp in the summer as desired.

How cold does the air get there? A heat pump adds heat slowly and good for maintaining temp if the air is not too cold ... again a cover will hel[ a lot.

If you require a large temperature increase, the natural gas is the quickest method, but it will get very expensive every time you are heating ... again, cover will help.

Really depends on what you are hoping to accomplish.

Well I think we're talking about the off season when it's really in the 60F air temps.. I'm not sure what that does to our water temps. I know right now our water is in the mid 80s.

What about a combined system? Solar and then I have the option of kicking on the gas heater for more extreme cold temps? Because I think solar would get us 2 more months.

If you have the money, solar supplemented with gas would certainly allow you do heat the pool whenever you want. As much of a pain they are, the solar covers help tremendously to reduce the heat loss at night.

For example, currently my solar is adding about 5 degrees in the day time, but I am loosing around 4 degrees at night with no cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.