Pool Closing Chlorine Level?

poolneophyte

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2009
Long Island, NY
Okay, I've read the Closing an Inground Pool thread several times and don't understand something. I plan on raising the FC to shock level about 1 week prior to closing and keeping it there for 3 days. After that, I will let it drift back down. The day before closing, I will add polyquat 60 and let circulate for 24 hours. My question is on the day of closing should I test the FC level and bring it back up to shock or somewhere in the middle? I have read that the Polyquat 60 uses up a good deal of the FC and am wondering what my actual FC level should be when closing.

poolneophyte said:
Okay, I've read the Closing an Inground Pool thread several times and don't understand something. I plan on raising the FC to shock level about 1 week prior to closing and keeping it there for 3 days. After that, I will let it drift back down. The day before closing, I will add polyquat 60 and let circulate for 24 hours. My question is on the day of closing should I test the FC level and bring it back up to shock or somewhere in the middle? I have read that the Polyquat 60 uses up a good deal of the FC and am wondering what my actual FC level should be when closing.

My understanding is that FC eats polyquat which implies that adding FC after the polyquat would make the polyquat vanish more quickly. I don't think you are expected to raise FC to shock after adding the polyquat.

UnderWaterVanya said:
poolneophyte said:

My understanding is that FC eats polyquat which implies that adding FC after the polyquat would make the polyquat vanish more quickly. I don't think you are expected to raise FC to shock after adding the polyquat.

Therein lies my confusion! I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to waste the Polyquat 60 that I just added the day before.

poolneophyte said:
UnderWaterVanya said:
poolneophyte said:

Therein lies my confusion! I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to waste the Polyquat 60 that I just added the day before.

I think it's pretty clear that Buckman Labs thinks you should not raise the FC back up:
i-am-a-stranger-at-the-pool-store-t8609.html#p71181

It's also pretty clear that Polyquat may not make it the entire winter:
post76410.html

I'm not really all that clear why we want to use it - I'm also considering it - but now I'm questioning myself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.