Iron staining

Rambo

Jul 11, 2012
I have a new fiber glass salt water pool. I installed the mesh safety cover over the pool. After about 3 weeks took it off & found discoloration to fiber glass. The chlorine level went to 18 & PH got to 8.0. Did a vitamin c test, stain went away.
My readings now are:
PH 7.2
FC 6
CC Less Than .5
TA 50
CH 200

I have ordered Ascorbic Acid & Jacks Purple Stuff.
My questions are:
1. Should I get this cleaned up now or wait for spring start up? My pump will run 1 hour per day & durning freeze conditions:
2. If I keep Chlorine & PH levels in control will this keep this from happening or am I going to have to have to add Jack's purple Stuff weekly?

Since the vitamin C test worked it's metal staining and I'd suggest you treat it now and keep a maintenance sequestrant level and the pH in the lower 7's. Since there are metals in the water you'll have to maintain the sequestrant until you can replace the water with metal free water. Do you know where the metals came from?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.