Stenner pump timer questions.

Bobba

May 7, 2011
Seriously considering the Stenner pump route. Thinking a fixed output (3gpd) model would be ok. Pool is 14000 gals.. How long would this pump run assuming a 2-3 ppm chlorine loss per day? My pump is on an Intermatic 220volt timer. I would like to add anothet timer for the Stenner but am unsure how to connect so that it only runs when the pool pump is on. Also, I see that the 15 gal tank from Homebrewers is out of stock. Any other suggestions for another 10-15 gal. Plastic tank. Any other suggestion would be welcome.

Figuring for 2ppm per day that's about 2 quarts of 6%. A 3gpd pump puts out 12 qts/day so you'd need 1/6th of that or about 4 hours of run time.

What you need is an off-delay timer. That way you can hook it to the main pump timer and have the injection pump run once the main pump comes on and run for 4 hours. Or ever how long it needs to.

I got a 15 gallon drum off Ebay with free shipping.

Since I use 12.5% liquid chlorine I assume about 2hrs. a day? Not sure about the off delay timer operation. I would like to somehow add another 220V Intermatic because of their reliability vs anything electronic in our Arizona heat. Whatever timer I use must be 220V because ther is no neutral line at the equip. pad to get 110V. I suppose using another pump timer for the Stenner would be ok as long as the 2 timers are synchronized.

You can add a T-104 timer to the T-104 I assume you have. It's a booster pump timer but don't let that throw you. It simply allows you to run a piece of equipment a set amount of time while the main pump is running. Search for a T10404R manual and you'll see the wiring diagram.

Thanks! Downloaded the manual and found the wiring diagram. Makes sense now. I see the 15 gal drum is back in stock also. Will probably wait a paycheck or two since we just had yhe pool refinished last week. Are the blue drums opaque or do you have to fab a guage similar to the one I saw here?

The blue drums are opaque. You can either remove the bung and look down in it once in a while or fab a gauge to tell how much bleach is left in it. The drum I have is translucent and I can tell the level just by looking at it.

I'm getting convinced this the way to go especially in central texas with flagstone. At this point just need to make sure i buy the correct model and tank. I want to thank all the posters on this topic. What exact model would you guys recommend for 30k pool in central texas. I'm thinking I want to run on full so quite and not wear out breaks. So run twice late in afternoon and middle of the night. I like the stenner tank the light color15 gallon so i can easily check level, and like how pump mounts. Anyone had issue with those tanks? Cost 4x but for me worth it, i will even add easy access pad.Why on this thread is because I want to adjust cl solely on run time and that would seal the deal and make it hands down superior setup would be if I could program run times with my existing jandy PDA. I know system can handle additional features so hope I can connect to console and be able to adjust run times. I did see cutting power cord voids warranty but worth it for me.

I haven't heard of any issues with the Stenner tank.
On a 30k gal pool you should be using about a gallon of bleach per day and if you run the pump 8 hours a day total you'll need a 3 gpd injection pump minimum. I'd probably suggest a 10 or 17 gpd injection pump to give yourself some extra capacity in case you have a large bather or organic load at some point.

If you don't want to cut the plug off, you can wire a pigtail to the controller and plug the pump into it.

Thanks I just realized what the pigtail is. I was considering the 45mp2, .5 to 10 gpd 25 psi. Should I use professional to connect to board? Should I be concerned about noise if adjusting to low rate and running longer? I would be able to set two start times and it would not be near normal swim times. Trying to get a feel for run time adjusting versus flow rate adjusting. Would it make since during season to set max and determine proper time and off season to use more combination adjusting because demand is so small.

I run mine at a lower setting than 10 (about 5 to 6) for 8 hours a day and we don't notice the noise. Granted, it's enclosed in an insulated equipment shed but it's not as noisy as some people suggest.

I run mine the same times I rn the main pump and just adjust the dial. If you want to run two timers you can just adjust the run time and let the injection pump run at 10.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
im in austin, I run the 10gpd pump for about 1.5 hours in the summer. You can change the volume just by changing the tube. Because of the freezing weather Ive been running the pump at the lowest setting all night. I think the pump is very loud and I can hear it from inside the house. Because it is a thunk thunk vs a constant hum I find the lower settings annoying. The tiny stenner pump is louder than my pool pump on the low setting so I prefer to run it for as short a time as possible.

I just have it plugged into a home depot timer. Also because the chlorine is light and heat sensitive I have buried the tank about halfway. I would have buried it all the way but that would have required digging into limestone. I just got $15 brewers world blue tank.

You can buy a 220v version of the stenner pump

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.