Muck coming back into the pool

Gerry

Oct 14, 2010
Hi
I can't find that this topic has already been covered, but if I have missed it then my apologies.

Where I live the soil is very dry and a bit like talcum powder, the slightest breeze and the pool bottom is covered in brown dust so constant cleaning is the order of the day.

Just recently I have noticed that as I am using the vacuum that the dirt is just coming straight back through the water jets.

I have topped up the sand filter as it is now 6 years old and rinsed it all through, but it is still happening.

Can anyone please suggest what is wrong and a remedy.

Many thanks.
Gerry
Brindisi, Puglia, Southern Italy.

Hi Gerry,

Two things I would suggest. First, please make sure your filter valve is set to "filter" and not recirculate. If that is all in order, then I am afraid topping up the filter may have not been enough. You should first try back washing the filter, if it still has the same symptoms, then inspect the sand for channelling ( my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html ) and lastly if all else fails, remove the sand and inspect the laterals for damage.

Hi dmanb2b
Thank you so much for an amazingly fast reply.

Yes, the control is set to filter.

I gave it a 15 minute backwash before starting, topping the pool at the same time.

The pool is quite a large one. 15m x 10m x 2.9m at the deep end.

I think that all I can do is to perhaps empty the sand filter and inspect the inside, the only real problem is that unless I can see something pretty obvious then I am not going to understand what I am trying to find, if that makes any sense.

I will have a look later at your suggestion ( my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html ) I am just off to visit a friend in hospital.

Thank you again for trying to help.

Best wishes
Gerry

Gerry said:
Just recently I have noticed that as I am using the vacuum that the dirt is just coming straight back through the water jets.
Are you finding any sandy residue anywhere?

Gerry said:
I have topped up the sand filter as it is now 6 years old and rinsed it all through, but it is still happening.
When you say you rinsed it - did you do the process that was posted here about fixing a channeled sand filter or something like that?

It does sound as though the laterals might be damaged. If they are you should be getting not just dirt but also sand in the pool. You can try bagging some of the returns with old socks or something like that and see what you catch - if there is sand in them - bet on the laterals being damaged.

Here's the only video I could find about replacing laterals. The guy who did this video is a not really all that educated on pools but it does show what they look like and how they attach to his filter. Ignore his pool cleaning and chlorination - ignore his use of yellow out and "shock" - ignore pretty much everything except the view of the filter and how it is constructed. Don't worry about changing sand either unless it's just easier for you to pull it and toss it - no reason to change it typically.

[youtube:2nkc3pqw]W0qLbngFtbE[/youtube:2nkc3pqw]

Hi UnderWaterVanya

Thanks for the information, it has really helped with another problem I have with another pool.

Perhaps I can explain.

I am a retired photographer, now an ex-pat from the UK living in southern Italy. Having been self employed all my life I found it difficult to just switch off so I started a pool cleaning business about 5 years ago. I now look after 9 pools for absent owners who all live in the UK.

I have read just about everything there is to read regarding water chemistry, we have a pretty good laboratory here for the odd occasion when I cannot work out a solution, but nothing I have read or found out really goes into the mechanics of the pool hardware, hence my ignorance with my present problem.

However, I do have one pool where the sand is continuously coming back through the jets into the pool so your pointer in the direction of the laterals could well be the answer, the really big problem down here is getting parts and so I have to keep ordering bits from the UK.

As to my first problem, 'Muck coming back into the pool', I am going to try rinsing the filter sand and generally give the filter a good going over before setting too with the other pool and stripping it all out, not looking forward to that as the pump housing is below ground in a plastic box which is the way they did things down here until I arrived and made the builders start to add a proper above ground pump house that you can walk into as well as store all the pool furniture.

But, Ho-Hum, we do our best with what we have.

Thank you once again, you have been very helpful, if the washing of the filter sand does the trick I will come back and let you know.

Best regards
Gerry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.