15,000g how much absorbic acid to lower 1ppm of chlorine.

Re: 15,000g how much absorbic acid to lower 1ppm of chlorine

Ok...it takes 1 gram of AA to neutralize 1 milligram per liter of Cl per 100 gal of water.

Not taking density into account and since we are dealing with low concentrations in water in think we can say the 1mg per liter is the approx the same as 1 ppm. So you would need 150 grams or 5.3 oz by weight.

chemgeek...you're our only hope! :shock:

I would just add a little at a time and keep testing to be sure. So...if you try to do AA now it looks like your first pound and a half will get eaten by the Cl. :cry:

Just asked dr. Google...yes, it's sodium thiosulfate and it takes 5 oz per 10,000 gallons.
Perhaps it's cheaper than blowing through almost a full treatment dose of AA.

Also note. Did an AA treatment with cold water a few weeks back. Expect it to take considerably longer to net the kind of results you would at 70 degrees and plan accordingly ;) (I didn't!)

Why do you need to drop the FC at all?

EDIT: I just reread this and figured out what you want to do. Essentially you need to drop FC before you do the AA treatment - right?

-sent with Tapatalk 2

Swampwoman said:
Also note. Did an AA treatment with cold water a few weeks back. Expect it to take considerably longer to net the kind of results you would at 70 degrees and plan accordingly ;) (I didn't!)

How long did it take you? I have 3.5lbs of AA for 15,000 gallons, so gonna over dose it a bit.

Will have to go get that sodium thiosulfate as i don't want to burn too much AA lowering it.

Mine was incomplete after letting it sit for two days. My problem was that I had to hurry up and bring the chlorine ack up efor my son's pool party. The fresh stains were all ge the first day, but the historic stains/streaks merely lightened.it probably depends on your stains!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

1 ppm FC in 10,000 gallons would get eliminated with 3.3 ounces of ascorbic acid so in 15,000 gallons that's 5.0 ounces.

You can neutralize chlorine by using a chlorine neutralizer such as sodium thiosulfate or you can use hydrogen peroxide. It takes roughly an equal volume of 3% hydrogen peroxide to neutralize the same volume of 6% bleach. So for 1 ppm FC in 10,000 gallons, that's around 21 fluid ounces. For 15,000 gallons, it would be around 31 ounces or roughly 4 cups of 3% hydrogen peroxide for 1 ppm FC. You can also get Baquacil Oxidizer which is 27% hydrogen peroxide and use 1/9th the volume. So to get rid of 5 ppm FC in 15,000 gallons, it would take around 17 ounces (about 2 cups) of Baquacil Oxidizer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.