Air bubbles

jhirsch1

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
Hi,

When I close my pool I connect my compressor to the pump drain plug and push air into the system. I have 2 skimmers, 3 returns, and a main drain. I do not lower the water.

The skimmer blow out first, one then the other. I blow out the lines, put a gismo in each close the union ball valve after about 1 minute or so and then anti freeze in the pipe through the gismo and skimmer basket area. Once the skimmers are done the returns start blowing air (again 1 at a time). I use the threaded plugs. I use the teflon tape, a little gasket lube and screw them in. After the last of 3 are plugged the air starts coming out of the main drain.

The 3rd return (last to plug) still has a few tiny air bubles coming out at the same time. Let's say maybe 2mm in wide and one a second. Do I need to worry about that? I know if I lowered my water I would never know it wasn't 100% sealed. I get enough rain and snow that at some point the water would come up over the return anyway.

So here is my question. Once the compressor is turned off the air bubles stop (of course) but I am wondering if water from the pool will get in, fill the pipe up and cause problems.

Thoughts,

Thanks.

There is a likely chance that hairline stress cracks have formed around the screw holes of the return face plate. Unscrew the 4 screws and inspect the backside of the return plate. If you see any cracks replace the plate. I do replace these quite often, I'm not sure if it would matter but my basic theory is if it's air tight then it's water tight. It's probably a sp1408b return plate.

Although not as common, the threaded plug you use (most likely sp1022c or generic of that) can wear out an begin to crack along the lip above the o-ring. Sometimes it can be hard to see as teflon tape can overlap this area.

PJ said:
Do you think that would let enough water in to lead to freezing lines?

To be honest I really don't know, I think it would depend on a lot of various factors. I think it probably wouldn't leak but that's the way I was taught to close pools by my dad. We blow out the lines using a cyclone vac (blower) and as the last return line plug is being installed the operator lets off some pressure so the plug can go in and the person putting the plug in isn't fighting huge pressure. After all the plugs are tightened up the person putting the plugs in walks from return to return looking for any bubbles while the operator is pushing partial pressure from the blower into the lines. If anything is bubbling we attempt to tighten it more which either fixes the problem or makes it worse; if it makes worse you stop the blower and change the faceplate. If you don't use sp1022c plugs and use rubber instead you don't have to worry about cracked plates. I prefer sp1022c plugs over rubber if i can though because rubber is simply compression and can be pulled/pushed out by ice and stems can leak as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.