Solar bubble cover - outdoor winter storage ???

zbigkid

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
Illinois
If anybody here has experience with storing one of those solar "bubble wrap" like covers outside in a cold northern climate, I'd like to hear about it.

Mine is 12 mil, and I have it wrapped on a pole that is used during the summer to roll it up and remove it. I'm curious if its okay to just set it on the ground near my fence on some gravel, and cover it with some sort of tarp. I'd like it to last more than just a couple seasons, but concerned the cold and snow will deteriorate it more quickly than if I folded it up, and stored it inside.

It'd be sort of a pain to unroll it, and remove the snaps from the plastic and pole its attached to.
Then fold it up compact enough to put in my shed, or in the basement. (I already have enough Crud in both :roll: )

I live north of Chicago, and can only get 2-3 seasons from one of those covers with the best of intentions. I know it's a pain, but getting it inside and somewhat warmer will extend it's life, if that's even possible!

Outside, even covered, is an invitation for something to next in the folds, of for moisture to collect and start to mold.

the cold won't really damage it, the sun and water/chemcials have more of an effect. They sell solar blanket storage covers that have a zipper on them. you wrap the cover up on the reel then you put this tarp with a zipper on it

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.