Pool Pump Motor Replacement: AOSmith vs Emerson ?

dblko

Jun 20, 2012
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
My inground saltwater pool filter pump (Hayward SP3010X15AZ) motor failed and I need to replace it. The original is a 1.5Hp, 3450RPM single speed A.O.Smith motor: C48L2N134B1 , SER 8K04, SF 1.0

Leslie pools suggested either getting a complete new pump for store price of $575 or replacing the motor only with an Emerson for about $375. (seems they don't sell the A.O.Smith.)

Does anyone has thoughts about Emerson? Or any other model I should look into for replacement?

Looks like I could get the A.O.Smith online for about $200+, but then would need to put the stuff together myself.
http://www.inyopools.com/Products/00200017001332.htm

The pump is in storage for the winter now, so I could get the parts now and put it together at opening for the next season.

Can you tell us more about your pool? Like water features, or required high flow rates?

If you want to be electricity conscious, you may be able to go with a smaller motor&impeller AND/OR opt for a 2-speed motor with a manual switch (or add an additional timer). The manual switch works fine for many if you do not have any special requirements.

On low speed, the pump moves about 1/2 the water for 1/4 the amount of electricity. So, doubling the run time on low (to move the same amount of water), would still be a 50% electricity savings.

Just another thing to think about.

You could certainly get the parts now and put it together over the winter while you are in no hurry and then it would be ready for install in the spring.

It's an about 20,000 gallon in ground pool with a spa. There are not special water features driven by the filter pump.

Spa and pool are piped into the same main filter pump, from there it goes into the DE filter, a gas heater, the saltwater chlorine generator cell and back into the pool/spa. The pool has 2 skimmers and 3 inlets, the spa has another two inlets and an overflow into the pool, all driven by the same filter pump motor. However the spa has jets that are driven by independently by two separate jet pumps.

The engine area is sitting outside in the backyard away from the pool by quite a distance, about one length of the pool itself, everything is connected by underground piping.

I run the filter pump about 8-10 hours a day, mostly in order to create sufficient chlorine via the salt cell. Usually I also vacuum the pool using the filter pump suction line.

Assuming the pump was dimensioned correctly by the builder, wonder if it would be OK to run a lower speed pump.

Attachments

• Pool_small.jpg
    Pool_small.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 157
Seems pretty common for pools to be built with filters that are too small and pumps that are too big.

So this pump is ONLY used for circulation (and SWG generation)? No pressure or suction cleaner? And you vacuum by hand?

If that is the case, then I think a 2-speed would would well and you would just leave it on low speed and flip a switch to high speed when you want to vacuum (or low speed may be enough for that as well).

You could also likely go smaller on the motor, but then I am pretty sure you have to change the impeller as well. The Super II are pretty powerful and likely 1HP would be plenty, but the easiest switch would be to just get a 1.5HP 2-speed to run on low speed. The 1.5HP motor is likely more expensive to buy, but you would not need an impeller. The electric savings of the 1HP on low vs. the 1.5HP on low is probably small.

If your electric costs are low or you do not care, then maybe just getting the 1 speed is fine.

Thanks. Yes, the motor is only used for the DE filter and circulation passing through the heater and SWG.
I don't have an automatic vaccum robot, just do it 'by hand' with a vacuum head and a pole into the suction line via the skimmer.
Seems to work fine so far.

A 2-speed 1.5hp motor with a manual switch seems to make sense, probably I would only need the high speed when vacuuming.
Is there any way to tell ahead of time that the 1.5ph at the low speed would be sufficient with whatever pressure or flow rate the DE filter needs?
Any recommendations what motor to get in terms of makers?

The slower speed through the DE filter actually helps it filter better ... there is no minimum flow rate only a maximum.

You will need to use high speed when backwashing ... and use high speed to check the filter pressure to know when to backwash (we recommend cleaning when the pressure goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure).

I have no recommendations regarding motor makers, other than AOSmith make a vast majority of them.

One last question, is your current pump wired for 115V or 230V? Seems like the 2-speeds are only one or the other, so best to get the same as your current wiring.

I don't quite understand yet how switching between low and high speeds would work. All I need would be a manual switch at the motor, but looking over replacement motors at http://www.inyopools.com/motors_hayward_super2.aspx , for example http://www.inyopools.com/Products/00200017003499.htm , it seems one would need to buy a special controller for the speed downstream from the current timer. That would be kind of ugly.

The current filter pump is on a pair of circuit breakers, I think that means its on 220V. I have an AquaLink control system and I could imagine that it can support 2 speed pumps, but probably would require some rewiring at the relay level.

There seems to be also energy efficient single speed motors, and motors with safety vacuum release protection, one could also consider as upgrade option ...

Attachments

• FilterPumpMotor.jpg
    FilterPumpMotor.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 150
The "energy efficient" motors just add a capacitor I think ... certainly get one of those if you do not get a 2-speed.

Wiring up a switch is simple. You need a SPDT toggle switch. Out of the timer one of the hot wires go to a "common" hot on the motor. The other hot from the timer goes to the center of the SPDT switch. Then there are Low and High terminals on the motor that are attached to the 2 sides of the SPDT switch.

But, your controller would certainly handle it if you have a free relay .... Add your pool and equipment info to your signature so we actually know you have a controller.

If your drains were properly installed (2 that are separated) then you should not need the SVR.

Just to finish up the topic, before the summer opening I ended up ordering a new single speed pump&motor Hayward SP3010X15AZ from Amazon for about $400 + tax. The new pump runs great so far.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.