Opinions on a getting more sparkle

Stuamurr

LifeTime Supporter
Hi I have recently started looking after an 28,000 ImpG indoor, in ground, liner pool. The liner itself is a preculiar green and turquoise colour, which really hurts the look of the water, I've got it all well balanced and happy but cannot get a real nice shine on the water, some angles it looks good, whilst others the green liner transmits a rather dulling effect on the water.

Last Test with Palintest 7100 Photometer:
FC 4.35
TC 4.60
CC 0.25
pH 7.54
TA 118
CH 200
CYA 34
Temp 27c/80f
Calcium Hypochlorite Granular & Tablets used for disenfection Sodium Bi-Sulphate for pH regulation.

I'm just not happy with the green tinge the liner gives the water, it's not organics in the water before anyone asks, it's simply the effect of the colour of the liner, I was considering the possibility of using borates, but I don't believe it is available at the supermarkets in the UK, and don't know if it would assist in getting a further shine to the pool water, I have found what I believe to be it but can someone confirm if it is simply Boric Acid I would need?. I also realise that the CH level is not needed in a liner pool.

Any opinions would be of assistance! If I remember I will take a picture and post up.

Yes, You can use Boric Acid, It cost a little more than Borax, but is easier to use. You don't have the PH Rise and you don't have to use MA to lower it. I've used both Borax and Boric Acid. I've got extra Boric Acid and it's the way I'll go in the future.

I can't comment on the Aluminum Sulphate.

Assuming you have passed the OFCLT? I know you said not to ask, but do want to confirm. Secondly, what is the pump/filter set-up...perhaps increasing pump run time could help give your water a more "polished" look? Otherwise the numbers do not look too bad at all.

I should of anticipated those questions!
It's a Sand Filter with a run time which has been increased to 4 hours per day, which calculates a 1.75 turnover (best guestimated)
The OCLT has been passed several times
I'm unsure if borates have been banned or not but Boric Acid is readily available via sites such as eBay.

Photos attached, which were taken today at the same time, you can note that from some angles the green coming through from the liner, with other angles the water looks just fine and blue with a nice sparkle.

Regards
Stuart

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

First I would crank up the filter time to 24x7 for a few days to see if that makes ANY difference. If it does, then maybe up the filter time overall a bit (not 24x7).

Next, since sand filters can only get objects down to about 20 microns, maybe you should explore options to get smaller objects filtered. One option is to add DE or Cellulose DE substitute to the filter to grab some additional stuff. Another option would be to add slime bags on the returns for a few days. Either of these approaches could get you an improvement over the 20 micron filtration - perhaps down to the 1-2 micro level - humans can't see stuff smaller than about 40 microns but the overall impact of smaller particles MIGHT be duller water.

I'm, in agreement with UWV, especially on the increased run time. Pool filter type DE added to the sand filter would be good if it is available. Although I still do not know your pipe size and pump type, it is very unlikely that a 4 hour run time would result in 1.75 turns. Even at 100GPM it would take 4.5-5 hours for a single turn.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the feedback, perhaps I didn't explain myself sufficiently, It is already clear, sparkling water, the photos just don't do it justice to be honest, and are to demonstrate the effect the liner has on the waters look. Basically I am realistically looking for options too override the green effect of the liner on the water ie make the water more blue.

As for the pump run time, I have experimented with non-stop runs before during shocking, and am satisfied that the run time is sufficient.

Can any pool users who have experience of borates and without comment on the colour change before and after? It will certainly help give the water more sparkle, but queery if it will reduce or increase the depth of colour to the water.

Regards
Stu

I do not recall reading that the borates change the color of the water ... I thought it might just catch the light better to sparkle more. Being an indoor pool ... maybe it is the lack of sunlight that reduces your sparkle.

I do not think you can change the water color without changing the liner.

Apologies Dang for not answering your question re the pump, I had to go check the plate again! It's an Astral Victoria Plus 3hp, I searched again online and found 34m3/h@10m head which equates to 3.74hrs per turn so my maths was off before with roughly 1.06 turns per 4 hour run. As that's the max flow rate I would imagine it to be close enough as the head on the pool is more like 7 metres.

Stu

jblizzle said:
I do not recall reading that the borates change the color of the water ... I thought it might just catch the light better to sparkle more. Being an indoor pool ... maybe it is the lack of sunlight that reduces your sparkle.

I do not think you can change the water color without changing the liner.

That's what I was thinking, also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.