Gunite pool and spa winter closing question

Nov 30, 2009
North Florida
Location is northern Virginia ... Lingering question is whether I need to or should fully drain the large spa that shares plumbing with the pool ... It is proud of pool by about two feet of water level and is about three feet down into the ground. All gunite and stone.

Do I need to fully drain the spa? I have done so for about five years and it seems like it is both unnecessary and potentially damaging to the plaster ...

Would appreciate some ideas re best course of action.

Thanks!

I don't know what your winter weather is like in northern Virginia, but if you have snow and ice then I would drain the spa, see this thread for a similar discussion and information about plaster, the message to be conveyed was that providing the plaster is protected from the elements by a good cover then it will be fine

closing-this-weekend-for-the-first-time-t53834.html

Regards
Stuart

same again, from everything I've read, providing the tile & plaster is protected you shouldn't have a problem. I would say it is dependant on your weather situation during the winter how far you need to drop the pool water level, if 2" has been working for you the last 5 autumns, then I guess stick with that!

Regards
Stuart

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.