Define salt water pool...

A Salt Water Chlorine Generator uses electrolysis to generate chlorine from salt in the water. You add salt to the pool,then run the SWCG to maintain your chlorine level.

There is a Pool School article on SWCGs here

The salt cell will be the last item in the equipment line before the water goes to the pool. After the filter, heater, etc.

You put the salt in the pool manually. You literally dump the bags into the pool. After a day, you bring your FC up to about 5ppm using bleach, then you fire up your salt cell and it takes over chlorine production.

Ok think get it, thanks!
A freind gave me like 5 huge bags of pool salt.
Is this a swg and is it hard to clean? Light says its time to clean but i dont even think it works as cl is 0 if i dont add manually.
Im reading pool school religiously.

Attachments

• IMG_20121008_121849-1.jpg
    IMG_20121008_121849-1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_20121008_121601-1.jpg
    IMG_20121008_121601-1.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 177
So do you have a SWCG? What brand? Add the details of your pool and equipment in your signature.

So SWCG have a light that comes on every 3 months or so to remind you to inspect the cell ... may not actually need cleaning.

If you are seeing 0 FC, you likely have something growing in the water that is consuming the FC as fast as the SWCG can make it. Also, what is your CYA level? If it is too low, the sun may also be breaking down the FC as fast as it is generated.

Does that system have any display for the salt level? Looks like an older setup.

If not, you need to test the salt level in the water as it is not currently generating. Once the salt level is verified in range, then you should be able to see if it starts generating ... I have my doubts as the cells generally last 3-5 years and that system looks pretty old.

Actually you should be able to take the cell to a pool store and they can test if it still works ... at least take the cell off and look inside and see if you see white scale all over everything or clean metal plates.

Typically, a chlorinator refers to a vertical tube that you stack trichlor tablets/pucks inside and water movement erodes them and adds FC and CYA to the pool water. The SWG is electronic and just converts the salt in the water to FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
5 bags? How big is your pool? Mine took a few more than 5 bags.

salt.jpg

Looks to me like old Hayward gear.

This site mentions that the older gear does not work with many newer cells. It does claim that older gear can work with the T-15 cell and it also says to call them. I suspect they can diagnose this over the phone.
http://www.poolsonly.com/aqua-rite-chlo ... d_315.html

These guys also claim to help diagnose and carry some generic replacment cells:
http://www.discountsaltpool.com/Replace ... 4AodzA0ABA

So first - get a salt reading that is reliable. They have strips for this and your pool store might provide this service. If the salt levels are OK for an SWG of that type - which is hard to say not knowing what they require.... then call the folks above or someone else that has hayward experience that can tell you if there is a cell that will work in it.

Thanks guys! ok so i removed cell and it didnt have much scale or anything but i gave a acid bath anyways. going to get a salt tester. From what i read here, when it comes to salt testing, the strips are actually better then the battery powered probe thingie correct?

RobbieH: about 25k +spa

UnderWaterVanya: I'll give them a call, great FAQ's on discount pool, thanks

marty said:
From what i read here, when it comes to salt testing, the strips are actually better then the battery powered probe thingie correct?

I think you are thinking of the titrating drop test being less accurate - or at least less repeatable than the strips.

UnderWaterVanya said:
marty said:
From what i read here, when it comes to salt testing, the strips are actually better then the battery powered probe thingie correct?

I think you are thinking of the titrating drop test being less accurate - or at least less repeatable than the strips.

The Taylor K-1776 Salt Test is within +-200ppm accuracy, while Strips are +/- 400ppm.

dmanb2b said:
UnderWaterVanya said:
marty said:

The Taylor K-1776 Salt Test is within +-200ppm accuracy, while Strips are +/- 400ppm.

I thought I had seen this said here before - I must be mistaken. The accuracy rate may be higher - is it just more difficult, expensive, more complicated and not worth the effort?

marty said:
Thanks guys! ok so i removed cell and it didnt have much scale or anything but i gave a acid bath anyways. going to get a salt tester. From what i read here, when it comes to salt testing, the strips are actually better then the battery powered probe thingie correct?
I think they're talking about the refractometer here. Not the drop test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.