New AGP Owner, several problems

Oct 11, 2012
South Carolina
I've been lurking on the TFP forums since I became a pool owner in July of this year and have been using the BBB since I started. It's a 24' round Artesian Pool Echo Canyon. We've had an unusually warm fall so I've delayed closing until today. While cleaning and getting my siphon going I've noticed a few disturbing things.

1) there is a leak somewhere. It's causing wet/muddy ground near the low side where the water is seeping out from under it. I noticed it about a month ago and tried searching for the leak using several methods listed on line but to no success. It's an extremely slow leak, maybe less than 1/2 inch in a week. That might just be evaporation, but it doesn't explain the muddy ground around the low side of the pool.

2) The pool is off level by about 1 1/4 in. The pool was "professionally" installed by the original homeowner in 2007 I suspect everything is original, including the liner.

What should I do come next spring?

I've seen some kind of leakstop chemical online that you can pour into the pool to plug leaks but I can't find any good testimonials about it and I think it's more intended for plumbing leaks etc. and I don't know how well it would work on the pin hole leak I presumably have.

Does anyone have experience with this stuff? http://www.inyopools.com/Products/10800006035184.htm

Should I just replace the liner next season and while I've got it off work on trying to relevel the pool?? I'm under the impression that this would cost big $$$.

My wife says I'm being neurotic about it and tbh the leak is so slight it wouldn't bother me if it didn't make a big mud hole that my dogs like to get in and track back into the house.

A half inch a week is almost certainly evaporation. I can't explain your mud, but I'd be looking for other sources for the leak. Any water lines in the area?

JohnT said:
A half inch a week is almost certainly evaporation. I can't explain your mud, but I'd be looking for other sources for the leak. Any water lines in the area?

It may be a little more than that but it's still pretty negligible. At times it's standing water and I can see around the edge of the pool where it's wet. To my knowledge no pipes run underneath it, could it just be ground water? I'm perplexed because there is some cratering under the liner and the sand is washing from underneath where the mud is.

You may need to look into the possibility of a sewage or water main leak in that area. Pinhole leaks don't usually leave puddles and cause one side of the pool to sink. If that much water was leaking out of the pool you should see a significant drop in the water level. Ask the local utility company to mark where the water and sewage lines run and see if any are located in the problem area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.