Puerto Rico Summer -Very hot!! Adding CYA help

Dec 13, 2007
Hello I'm from Puerto Rico as per the topic and summer is here. Temps are at 89°F Feels Like 92°F . What would be the recommended ppm for CYA to try and help with the chlorine loss from the SUN?? help please!!! my chlorine is dissapearing faster than a speeding bullet.

If the pool is in direct sunlight all day you might want to try raising the CYA level into the 60 to 80 range. If you do that you will need to raise the FC level to between 5 and 10. The amount of chlorine lost to sunlight should be lower at the higher CYA level, despite the higher FC level.

JasonLion said:
If the pool is in direct sunlight all day you might want to try raising the CYA level into the 60 to 80 range. If you do that you will need to raise the FC level to between 5 and 10. That amount of chlorine lost to sunlight should be lower at the higher CYA level, despite the higher FC level.

The pool is in complete direct sunlight all day. I'm gonna do exactly as you suggest and bump it to 80, according to the pool calculator for a 30,000 gallons pool I would need to add 209 oz, is that correct??

Thanks Jason

Yes, around 12 to 13 lbs of CYA. It is best to not add it all at once, but to add somewhat less than you think you need and see where that gets you and then adjust further from there. It is much easier to raise the CYA level than it is to lower it, so try not to overshoot.

JasonLion said:
Yes, around 12 to 13 lbs of CYA. It is best to not add it all at once, but to add somewhat less than you think you need and see where that gets you and then adjust further from there. It is much easier to raise the CYA level than it is to lower it, so try not to overshoot.

Will do thanks Jason. I've been reading about adding the CYA... do you think is a wise idea to add 12lbs of CYA into the skimmer after backwashing and putting the filter pressure at 15psi for a week?? or adding it in portions ?

I'm worried 12 lbs of CYA is going to clog my filter badly and I won't be able to backwash it for a week since it needs to get dissolved.

You need to add the CYA reasonably slowly, or it will clog the pump strainer basket. But once it get through that, which it will, it can sit in the filter safely without causing much of a pressure increase. CYA tends to be in fairly large crystals compared to the extremely fine dirt that will clog a filter. A whole bunch of coarse CYA crystals can fit in the filter without causing any problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.