Mint Hill, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
I have a sand filter with a multiport attached to my pool plumbing using hard PVC. The pool was built by previous owners and seems to have had a few repairs over the years. The plumbing as it is does not really permit removal of the multiport to do any kind of cleaning of the sand or inspection of the laterals etc.

Because of this I started wondering if it would be possible to replace some of the hard pipe with flexible pipe like you see on some AGP's. But - things work well as they are - I don't want to solve one problem and cause another. Is there a disadvantage to the flexible pipe? Is there a better way to make this more serviceable?

Pad.jpg

bobodaclown said:

I was aware that could be done - the lower pipe on the front in the picture below has been chopped and repaired a few times and is going to need replacing a bit further back if I do that. Does that give enough clearance to lift out the entire valve assembly without stressing the hard sections of pipe beyond the unions?

Multiport.jpg

It would really depend on where you put the unions. If you put them a couple of inches from the multiport, you'll have enough room to disconnect the multiport and inspect everything. The only glitch I see it is the waste line, but even that should be doable. Looks like you'll need 3 unions.

bobodaclown said:
It would really depend on where you put the unions. If you put them a couple of inches from the multiport, you'll have enough room to disconnect the multiport and inspect everything. The only glitch I see it is the waste line, but even that should be doable. Looks like you'll need 3 unions.

Oh I see - essentially leave the existing connections hard plumbed to the multiport, and add the unions back a bit. I can move the waste line back it's not that big a deal - it's only resting on the ground not attached to anything else really.

Unions are large fittings and you seem (to my eyes) to have some close clearances.

First, get the diameter of the fittings you plan to use and make sure you have the clearance before cutting lines.

I didn't, and have a whopping 1/2" between the union's nut and the pressure (return) line.
I use a strap wrench - if you don't have one, pick one up when you get the unions - ordinary pipe wrenches will not work on the unions.
The little Sch 40 (white PVC) 1 1/2" is a bit over 6" in diameter; the sch 80 (gray PVC) 2" is about 8".

happyheathen said:
Unions are large fittings and you seem (to my eyes) to have some close clearances.

First, get the diameter of the fittings you plan to use and make sure you have the clearance before cutting lines.

I didn't, and have a whopping 1/2" between the union's nut and the pressure (return) line.
I use a strap wrench - if you don't have one, pick one up when you get the unions - ordinary pipe wrenches will not work on the unions.
The little Sch 40 (white PVC) 1 1/2" is a bit over 6" in diameter; the sch 80 (gray PVC) 2" is about 8".
yikes!

- Sent using Tapatalk

I had to offset the unions a bit to have them fit on the horizontal pipes coming out of my valve as well.

Of course you could always put the unions on the vertical pipes as well ... but you would loose the ability to easily re-torque the screw in fittings if they ever started to leak.

jblizzle said:
Of course you could always put the unions on the vertical pipes as well ... but you would loose the ability to easily re-torque the screw in fittings if they ever started to leak.
I'm not following this - care to elaborate?

- Sent using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the union is on the horizontal pipes, you can unscrew the union and then you would be able to unscrew the fittings into the multi-valve or tighten them and then just screw the union back together. There is no alignment requirement in the union.

If the union was on the vertical, you can not turn the pipe and fitting still attached to the valve because then the vertical pipe would no longer be vertical and not be in line with the other half of the union.

I just redid my pad and both of the multivalve screw in fittings are dripping. But since I put the unions on the horizontal, I can either loosen the union and tighten the screw fitting. Or remove the fitting and recoat with pipe dope and try again. The union will still be in line.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.