Ph level for winterization?

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Check out pool school for guidelines for pH. Before we can suggest adding anything, you will want to post a complete set of test results.....you may need very little or you may need a lot.

I understand the pool chemistry and I keep at the optimal levels. I wasnt sure if the ph level should be lowered in anticipation of it going up being that its fairly new gunite. I also wasnt sure if you add an algaecide.

mikeache:

Winterizing a pool is one of the situations where using algaecide is recommended. The preferred algaecide is Polyquat 60 which is a trade name for the chemical makeup of that algaecide. It is available from several vendors. If you were to do an internet search on Polyquat 60, you will see that it is widely available.

While I do not have an in-ground pool, I have looked after one and currently have an above ground pool. To close it, I elevate the chlorine levels to about 10 ppm, adjust the pH levels to between 7.2 - 7.6 and cover the pool with a solid opaque and leak-proof cover; All I get in my pool over the winter is a little dust, no algae and the water is clean, just turn the pump on and do a light vacuum in the spring; the cover is the most important contributor to my success, no need for algecide. For an in-ground pool, getting the water off the cover will be a little more work, but it is worth it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.