Pentair Aqualumin III rust issues

ckkone

May 2, 2011
West Jordan, UT
My PB is giving me a new Aqualumin III becuase the one I had installed in June is totally rusted. It looks like the small screws in the back were either not stainless or a very poor stainless steel. I'm going to take the light from him but not sure if I will install it, I was looking at other options and found these on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Resin-filled-le ... 1e728f67c4

Except for six small screws on the back that I would change out with high quality stainless its all plastic, just wondering if anyone has installed one of these. I'm already aware it will be much dimmer, but we didn't use our current light all season so its really not big deal. I'm also aware I will need to wire in a 120v to 12v transformer.

Attachments

• $T2eC16RHJGYE9nooh7!oBQ(T+264Rw~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16RHJGYE9nooh7!oBQ(T+264Rw~~60_57.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 115
You may want to have an electrician check out your pool. Rapid corrosion of a product designed for pool use is almost certainly a sign of a wiring issue or ground current in the water.

Time to visit this again. I don't think its a wiring or ground current issue. The bottom drain and skimmer screws didn't rust at all, just the ones on the back of the light. On the new light I can see they are not stainless steel either, I think I will just trying changing the screws and hope for the best. BTW I have a salt water pool so that would aid in metal corrosion.

I am so glad that you posted this...I have been looking for a replacement for my )(*(^(*&*()&*%^%^^#^&% Aqualumin light for ages. I am replacing my liner right now so I think I may give these a shot!

msumoose said:
I am so glad that you posted this...I have been looking for a replacement for my )(*(^(*&*()&*%^%^^#^&% Aqualumin light for ages. I am replacing my liner right now so I think I may give these a shot!

I wish I'd never even heard of Aqualumin lights. My first one was defective from the factory and it was impossible to change the bulb. The plastic seal that goes against the liner has failed on the second one at just over a year old. Unfortunately with no niche, you don't have any options to switch to another brand easily. Pentair wouldn't even respond to my emails about the first one when I included clear pictures showing them the manufacturing defect.

My seal failed too. I have just left it for 3 years or so. I miss not having a light on my pool.

Since I am doing the liner, I am looking to eliminate it or to do something else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.