Stenner Pump woes

carlscan26

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
San Diego, CA
So I finally ordered a stenner pump and installed it this weekend. Pretty easy to do, it was helpful that I already had the entry point tapped.

After turning it on I noticed a small drip leak at the injector between the check valve and the injector nozzle thing. I took that apart and there is an o-ring in there which would appear to not be doing it's job. But I decided to let it go as it was really just a slow drip (2-3 drops a minute).

5 mins after I turned it back on it started making a rhytmic grinding-like noise. At first I thought it was the tubing priming or something but it got louder and then a whirring noise like the fan was unbalanced started. I shut it down at that point (was about to anyway).

Today I called the retailer and held the phone up to it so they could hear the noises. the gentleman at the other end told me it needed to come back, and no they wouldn't first ship me a replacement unit. In talking through the installation I was told because I cut the plug off the power cord I have voided my warranty! They still sent me a return label and will take a look at it but basically they implied that if it needs to go back to Stenner for a replacement I may be up a creek. Keeping my fingers crossed for the best here but i am really worried as it did not sound like a problem on the pump side but rather on the motor side.

So a warning to others: DO NOT cut the cord on your pump. Wire up a pigtail instead.

FYI, I considered wiring a pigtail but I have a sun touch and there's not enough room to fit that in there. Also, the points of entry are on the bottom of the box and are directly above the service outlet box where the power feed comes out of. I was barely able to snake the power cord up into the punch out. So hooking up a remote junction box to fit a pig tail will be a royal pain and hence why I didn't do it. Not to mention it didn't even cross my mind that it might void the warranty. I mean it's a plug at the end of the power cord :grrrr:

carlscan26 said:
FYI, I considered wiring a pigtail but I have a sun touch and there's not enough room to fit that in there. Also, the points of entry are on the bottom of the box and are directly above the service outlet box where the power feed comes out of. I was barely able to snake the power cord up into the punch out. So hooking up a remote junction box to fit a pig tail will be a royal pain and hence why I didn't do it. Not to mention it didn't even cross my mind that it might void the warranty. I mean it's a plug at the end of the power cord :grrrr:
I suspect that you have not voided the warranty - but time will tell. If you had opened the unit where the cord enters and removed the cord breaking some seals that they placed in there to show it had been opened - then maybe I would see the point of voiding the warranty - but not in your case.

As an aside - for the pigtail - maybe you could do a long pigtail and then just use heat shrink around the two plugs and leave them out in the weather.

Hey that's an interesting idea. I was looking at it last night and was thinking I would just run a similar type cable to a remote junction box with the pigtail in that. Of course thenig cant even fit in a junction box opening, so it would actually have to be an outlet in a weatherproof box...cutting the plug and hard wiring was the best solution - I wish they sold it without a plug.

Well I'm hoping for the best...

Carl,

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience you went through. Yes, you did void the factory warranty by cutting the cord. As to the leak and the grinding noise, I couldn't tell you without know any further information.

It sounded like a new pump, correct?
What model did you get?
Can you briefly go over your install procedures?

Next time there is something wrong with your Stenner pump, feel free to call the factory directly. We have a tech department that handles all sorts of pump problems.

I hope everything worked out ok in the end.

JNguyen@Stenner said:
Carl,

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience you went through. Yes, you did void the factory warranty by cutting the cord. As to the leak and the grinding noise, I couldn't tell you without know any further information.

It sounded like a new pump, correct?
What model did you get?
Can you briefly go over your install procedures?

Next time there is something wrong with your Stenner pump, feel free to call the factory directly. We have a tech department that handles all sorts of pump problems.

I hope everything worked out ok in the end.

Thanks John. the vendor replaced the check valve and shipping it back to them seemed to cure the grinding problem. They think the cartridge may just have been out of alignment or something. Anyway it's been running great now for about four months.

Thanks for the offer to contact you directly; if I ever have problems again I will.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.