Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
As I was poking around the pool shed to see if previous owners left anything else behind that may come in handy for winterizing, I came across a small water pump.

(I believe it is this one: http://www.flotecpump.com/ResidentialPr ... 360AC.aspx)

There is a sticker on it that advises to pour oil into the inlet prior to each use. I assume this would be to lube the impeller? What kind of oil should I use though, small engine oil? Olive oil? Any kind of oil? The manual I found online was silent on this.

My guess is this would have been used for draining in prep for winter and also to pump water off the cover, agree?

Well, since this has stumped everyone I don't feel so silly! I was able to find an instructional video related to this pump and it mentioned the use of mineral oil. That would suggest to me that any type of motor oil might be too thick, so I am probably going to go with vegetable oil or some sort of cooking oil if I cannot locate mineral oil.

Motor oil is not generally something you want to pump into the environment, no matter how small.
Mineral oil is a environmentally safe product.
Most any hardware store, many grocery stores, CVS/Walgreen type stores should carry this.

Pauls234 said:
Well, since this has stumped everyone I don't feel so silly! I was able to find an instructional video related to this pump and it mentioned the use of mineral oil. That would suggest to me that any type of motor oil might be too thick, so I am probably going to go with vegetable oil or some sort of cooking oil if I cannot locate mineral oil.

Veg/Cooking oil decomposes easily and goes rancid. Mineral oil is available in grocery stores, drug stores, etc.

UnderWaterVanya said:
Veg/Cooking oil decomposes easily and goes rancid. Mineral oil is available in grocery stores, drug stores, etc.
I put vegetable oil in mine, it's a similar pump. Mine only holds a very small amount. Going strong 3 years now (runs about 14 hours/yr :lol:)

Speedo said:
UnderWaterVanya said:
I put vegetable oil in mine, it's a similar pump. Mine only holds a very small amount. Going strong 3 years now (runs about 14 hours/yr :lol:)

YMDV (Your Mileage Did Vary)

I'm not surprised that it worked - but I'm not recommending it either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.