Winterizing Intex 24' AGP - Two Questions

Jul 17, 2012
OK, it's getting late and am almost done winterizing (freeze warning tonight so it's about time!).

I have drained the pool 6" below the water intake hole. I've read a ton and gotten a little confused, so please forgive this newbie question.

Based on the amount drained, the water level is roughly two feet below the top edge of the pool. I purchased a pool cover with four feet of 'overlap', but the directions with the cover indicate I need more overlap because of how low the water level is after draining. This cover is designed to hold water on top of it (along with leaves and debris) so it needs to fit snugly against the walls of the pool. The manufacturer says DO NOT try to have the cover sloping towards the top of the pool from the center point. So I guess I'm going to return this cover and get a bigger one. Any suggestions or other ideas? I'm in Michigan, there will be leaves and stuff blowing onto the pool, plus a tone of rain/snow through the fall/winter/spring.

Second question. I believe that I need to plug the holes for the water intake/outflow, but cannot find any specifically for my pool (Intex doesn't sell them, they recommend taking the pool down over the winter). The holes are roughly 2 3/4" in diameter. I'm having trouble locating one, and it's not clear whether or not I need one.

Thanks in advance!
Scott

I have the SAME questions hammer_time! I'm in Michigan too and have 18' Intex metal frame pool i'd like to winterize BUT, I also have a sand filter and a SWG with salt in the water so i'm not sure if my answers will be different or not.

I hope we get some good answers here soon! I've found great help in the past on this forum.

Thanks All and we Michiganders need to get moving on this closing process ASAP so please help us out.

My pool doesn't complete freeze solid but it does freeze up to a foot in depth. We are in the very north part of Texas, near ski areas etc. We have has winters where we get 22" of snow in one night, etc. And in the winter we often have several weeks of cold weather at a time with temps in the teens or lower. My former pool guy told me to drain below return and filter line. Throw in all our inflatable pool toys and cover it with our winter cover. It seems to have worked. No damage in 4 winters.

Michiganers, I am in Chicago and am planning on closing my AGP this weekend. This will be my first close, however, others on this forum have assured me in the past that it is not necessary to plug those holes given your low water levels. You just don't want any water in those small compartments or they could crack. Further, when I opened the pool for the first time this past July, the water level was low, and there were no plugs over the return or skimmer and everything was fine. Only word of caution - not sure if things are different for a seasonal pool such as an intex??

Mpacheco - interesting idea tossing the inflatables in, I assume that prevents the cover from falling too far when it gets heavy with rain and snow and provides a bit of a buffer for when the water freezes, i.e. it just pushes up on the inflatables??

hammer_time said:
Second question. I believe that I need to plug the holes for the water intake/outflow, but cannot find any specifically for my pool (Intex doesn't sell them, they recommend taking the pool down over the winter). The holes are roughly 2 3/4" in diameter. I'm having trouble locating one, and it's not clear whether or not I need one.

What do the fittings look like? Are there lips/threads that protrude from the side? If so maybe something like a piece of flexible plastic sheeting and a large rubber band? If not then a rubber cone stopper designed for 3" PVC might fit.

I have the 20 x 42 Intex Ultra Frame - I have just taken the sand filter & pump - unplugged it - drained the water - sand too - going to buy new sand next year - and put the pump up - threw in a huge tire float and put the cover on it in the middle -
But now, I am in South Carolina - do we need to drain the water pass the skimmer hole - I mean, we put a cover over the intake & outtake holes -0 please advise

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.