Pool overflow drain.

bobodaclown

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2011
Murrieta, CA
Hello All,
I have a 1.5 inch PVC Pipe that is coming out of the ground that I believe is an over flow for the pool. (My neighbor has something similar.) Mine doesn't drain though. I've looked into the skimmer basket there is only one pipe connector that goes to the pump.

Yesterday, I checked out the main drain (took off the cover and looked) There are 2 connectors one goes to the pump, the other has a threaded cap (Hydrostatic plug?). Is it possible that the threaded cap goes to the overflow?

What could happen if I remove the threaded cap and it's not connected to the overflow drain? (I'm thinking this could go bad really quick.)

Any other ideas?

bobodaclown said:
Hello All,
I have a 1.5 inch PVC Pipe that is coming out of the ground that I believe is an over flow for the pool. (My neighbor has something similar.) Mine doesn't drain though. I've looked into the skimmer basket there is only one pipe connector that goes to the pump.

Yesterday, I checked out the main drain (took off the cover and looked) There are 2 connectors one goes to the pump, the other has a threaded cap (Hydrostatic plug?). Is it possible that the threaded cap goes to the overflow?

What could happen if I remove the threaded cap and it's not connected to the overflow drain? (I'm thinking this could go bad really quick.)

Any other ideas?

If it's a hydrostat (in the drain pot) the part you can see is spring loaded and can be lifted slightly (which will let water out, creating a suction that you'll be able to feel).

You could overfill the pool and see if water comes out.

However, if you have a high water table, I think it more likely that the 1.5" pipe goes to a well point for dewatering during construction or repairs (they are usually capped though)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.