Pump Basket Won't Fill

Oct 5, 2012
I installed new Hayward Ecostar Variable Pump the other day. The water in the basket never gets above 1/8" the intake opening and stays 3 or more inches from the top of the lid. I put a hose in and shutdown the intake from the skimmer and only use main drain. I could fill for hours and the watelr level in basket stays the same. I think it is just filling the pool. I cleaned the fillter no change. I take out the filter no change. A few times I open the air release valve on top of filter, the water fills up the stariner, as soon as I put the lid on it drops 3-4 inches in strainer basket. I have tried various speeds no change. I feel like rtaking the whole system out. What am I doing wrong? I call the Pool company that sold me the pump and they say to me what I mhave already done but it is suppose to fill to the top and stay there but if it does not, thers no harm!!!

Chances are you either have an air leak in the plumbing or at the pump lid or a pump drain plug, or you have a restriction on the inlet lines that doesn't allow your pump to get enough water.

Inspect and lubricate any O-rings on the pump with pool lube. The check that all your valves to the drain or skimmers are fully open and that the skimmer is remaining full of water with no gurgling and no vortex within the skimmer.

Mine would kind of fill up at higher speeds. It never runs full. I just ran it and it seems to be ok. Ran all summer like that.

I had one person say I didn't have big enough lines on my pool for the pump.

That pump saved me bug bucks this summer. I bet I saved over $500.

I tried the pump drain plus and each need a 1/8 of a turn but it did not help much. Water level in basket is 2" from top. Allowed 3 minute prime did not help. I have 2" suction pipes going into pump and reduced to 1 1/2 coming out. Relase air from filter hepls veru briefly. I tried shutting off main or skimmer side to no avail. I showed Pool place video of what it looks like and they have no clue. They are calling rep from Hayward and saying a service call maybe needed that I would have to pay for. Sounds a little crazy that I get sold a pump and it does not operate at 100% and I have to pay for a service call? I lubed the lid, replaced pipes did everything and water will not fill to top in basket?>??!!!

I paid to have them come out too. I put sealant on the oring in the lid. I added a piece of pipe so the inlet wasn't too close to the 90 degree bend in the inlet pipe. I set the timers during to day to run at a high speed to make sure there was water in the pump. Seemed to work ok with about 2 inches of air in it.
My old pump (Jacuzzi) had a little hose that sucked the air out of the top. I think that would work here.

The pump runs fine to the pool and circulates the water. Since I was sold this that there should be no air or atleast very little air and since I paid big bucks then I want it to do as they say and as their model in store shows, no air.
Thanks for the replies!!

When you start the EcoStar pump, what speed is it running at? The maximum speed may be set so low that it will not prime. I have my max speed set at the pump to 2775 rpm. The Pro Logic can't be set to 2775 rpm, so I have it set to 2760 rpm. This speed is high enough for my EcoStar to prime.

I try to save as much electricity ($$$) as possible. I normally run the pump at 1208 rpm (35%) or 1553 rpm (45%). When running at these speeds I normally see a big air bubble just under the lid. The water level in the basket is well above the intake opening.

Just another thought....

Since we are not quite done with the installation, the filter has gotten really dirty with all the crud getting into the pool. The cartridges have been cleaned 3 times. I have noticed that as the filter cartridges get dirty, I do see more air and agitation in the pump basket.

My Max Speed was 2500, changed it to 3450, no difference still 2" from lid. I set my minmum to 1275 also. I have also cleaned my filer and also ran without a filter, no change water still 2" from lid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think it's likely that the impeller is clogged. Do you have pine trees near the pool. Those pumps clog easily with pine needles (they go right through the pump basket).

Is there any chance some debris made it past the strainer basket? If it did, it could be blocking the impeller suction. Pull the basket and reach inside to see if you can feel anything.

I realize this is an old thread, but just want to thank the community for saving me a bunch of time and possibly $. Researching air leak in pump basket and found this suggestion. Reached into impeller area (after turning pump off of course!) to find a large clump of fine wispy grass clogging the impeller. Problem fixed. Love this site!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.